Old 19-03-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well...........!

It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-03-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Mar, 09:38, Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's nuts.
In the last hour here in South Wales, we have had sunshine, hail, snow
and back to sunshine, though there is more cloud heading our way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 19/3/07 09:42, in article
om, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 19 Mar, 09:38, Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's nuts.
In the last hour here in South Wales, we have had sunshine, hail, snow
and back to sunshine, though there is more cloud heading our way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Same here. And the snow's back!

We had a little snow this morning then hail. It's very bright here but
the wind chill is very cold. My little friend the water vole was in the
brook again this morning (I'm not being pretentious - it's name has
'brook' in it). I know where he lives now. Strangely, I never see more
than one at a time.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-03-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm
happy to say.

We took time in the breaks between hailstorms to dash out, cut back
brambles, replace cloches and try to level the area where the third raised
bed will go. Then we gave up and went and bought the compost for the bed
because we weren't going to get any actual gardening done.

Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
still a chance they'll survive?

Old 19-03-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.

Still windy and VERY cold here, but fortunately no snow.

Alan

Old 19-03-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 11:56, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

Old 19-03-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:
| On 19 Mar, 11:56, "Amethyst Deceiver"
| wrote:
| Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
| still a chance they'll survive?
|
| I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
| beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
| beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
assuredly can.

Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry. But I am
not going to plant mine for a month yet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 13:24, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
assuredly can.
Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.

That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
in the winter/early spring. Do you?

But I am
not going to plant mine for a month yet.

Me neither. Brrrr.... it's got to be pleasurable )

Old 19-03-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
| happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
| Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
| assuredly can.
| Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
| or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.
|
| That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
| peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
| reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
| in the winter/early spring. Do you?

Well, other than (apparently) you, I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to. The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-03-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 14:42, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Well, other than (apparently) you,I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to.

But you don't. That surely makes two of us ) I remember how
surprised I was to read that broad beans were sowed so early. It's far
too humid here and as I said nobody I know sow their broad beans as
early as Feb here in Manchester, in my lotty (Scott Avenue in Chorlton
Cum Hardy) and neighbourhood (Whalley Range), nor do we do peas before
end March mid April (depending on what's falling from the skies). I
usually do both after my spuds.

The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

But you've just said that you didn't sow them until another month.
That will bring you into April. Will it not?

Old 19-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: But you don't. That surely makes two of us ) I remember how
: surprised I was to read that broad beans were sowed so early. It's far
: too humid here and as I said nobody I know sow their broad beans as
: early as Feb here in Manchester, in my lotty (Scott Avenue in Chorlton
: Cum Hardy) and neighbourhood (Whalley Range), nor do we do peas before
: end March mid April (depending on what's falling from the skies). I
: usually do both after my spuds.
:
: The recommended time is
:: mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
:: earlier further south.
:
: But you've just said that you didn't sow them until another month.
: That will bring you into April. Will it not?

Broad beans (November and December sowings) and onions looking well in
spite of gales and hail. Beabns are supported by horizontal ropes and well
into bud. Oeas and potatoes keeping their heads under thank goodness

Old 19-03-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| The recommended time is
| mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
| earlier further south.

The context of that was broad beans. My first sowing went in over a
week ago, pre-sprouted.

| But you've just said that you didn't sow them until another month.
| That will bring you into April. Will it not?

The context of that was peas.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Nick Maclaren writes

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
| happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
| Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
| assuredly can.
| Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
| or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.
|
| That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
| peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
| reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
| in the winter/early spring. Do you?

Well, other than (apparently) you, I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to. The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

Or even in the autumn for many varieties.
--
Kay
Old 19-03-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Well, other than (apparently) you, I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to. The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

I agree Nick, mine are actually in the cold frame at the moment so I can
plant them out directly . I would have said that midfeb was right for
here as well.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM