Old 19-03-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well...........!

It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-03-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Mar, 09:38, Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's nuts.
In the last hour here in South Wales, we have had sunshine, hail, snow
and back to sunshine, though there is more cloud heading our way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 19/3/07 09:42, in article
om, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 19 Mar, 09:38, Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm happy to
say.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's nuts.
In the last hour here in South Wales, we have had sunshine, hail, snow
and back to sunshine, though there is more cloud heading our way.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Same here. And the snow's back!

We had a little snow this morning then hail. It's very bright here but
the wind chill is very cold. My little friend the water vole was in the
brook again this morning (I'm not being pretentious - it's name has
'brook' in it). I know where he lives now. Strangely, I never see more
than one at a time.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-03-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It's snowing! But blue sky is coming up fast on the horizon I'm
happy to say.

We took time in the breaks between hailstorms to dash out, cut back
brambles, replace cloches and try to level the area where the third raised
bed will go. Then we gave up and went and bought the compost for the bed
because we weren't going to get any actual gardening done.

Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
still a chance they'll survive?

Old 19-03-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 11:56, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

Old 19-03-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:
| On 19 Mar, 11:56, "Amethyst Deceiver"
| wrote:
| Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is there
| still a chance they'll survive?
|
| I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
| beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
| beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
assuredly can.

Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry. But I am
not going to plant mine for a month yet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 13:24, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
assuredly can.
Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.

That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
in the winter/early spring. Do you?

But I am
not going to plant mine for a month yet.

Me neither. Brrrr.... it's got to be pleasurable )

Old 19-03-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
| happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
| Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
| assuredly can.
| Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
| or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.
|
| That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
| peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
| reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
| in the winter/early spring. Do you?

Well, other than (apparently) you, I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to. The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-03-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is
there still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion
sets" may have been a clue.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening books on my
kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets themselves, I'm not
early with the peas or broad beans.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarmar.asp
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...rden-march.php
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/GardenDiary.htm
http://www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm

all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

Old 20-03-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Mar, 12:26, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion
sets" may have been a clue.

I'm so sorry indeed it was. I don't do it like this. I straight sow.
Now you're asking if you should therefore 'replant' everything? I'm
sorry but I still don't understand. You have sown in pots, planted
them and now wonder if you should 'replant' them. Yes? Replant them
where? And why? And do what with them?

So that's why I've said, wait and see and added that it is quite early
to do peas and broadbeans - thought we all differ for sowing times
with broadbeans because of different climate. As for the onions, mine
have been in ages ago.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening books on my
kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets themselves, I'm not
early with the peas or broad beans.
all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

Sure. If you have seeds, you sow not plant. There's a difference and
it's this that has confused me. You mention planting, which means you
have already sown your broadbeans and peas. In this case it was too
early - for me at least.

Old 23-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

And yet I've been planting seeds all my life.

Old 20-03-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:: wrote:
::: Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is
::: there still a chance they'll survive?
::
:
: My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans
: and onion sets" may have been a clue.
:
: According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening
: books on my kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets
: themselves, I'm not early with the peas or broad beans.
:
: http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarmar.asp
: http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...rden-march.php
: http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/GardenDiary.htm
: http://www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm
:
: all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

I would say you're on the tardy side if anything but then again i wouldn't
take any advice from Alan Titchmarsh either

Old 23-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I look at what they say and add a month - I suspect it's colder in Wet Yorks
than dahn sarf where most of them are!

--
Linz
Wet Yorks via Cambridge, York, London and Watford

Old 20-03-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is
there still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion
sets" may have been a clue.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening books on my
kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets themselves, I'm not
early with the peas or broad beans.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarmar.asp
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...rden-march.php
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/GardenDiary.htm
http://www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm

all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

Well, you'll have seen the majority verdict on here is that you are OK
:-)
And no need to replant since I imagine they haven't even burst through
the surface of the soil yet. I always used to plant my broad beans in
March (Feb when I was in Kent).

--
Kay

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM