Old 21-03-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum Moth

I have had problems with a fan trained Victoria plum. A number of the
fruits have 'worm' tracks through the flesh. Listhening to a gardening
program on the car radio I heard a suggestion that this migh be the plum
moth. The suggeton was that this is similar to an apple pest and that
there is a pheromone trap for the moth. Can the panel advise me?

Malcolm
Old 22-03-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Malcolm
You are right there is a plum moth akin to codlin moth in apples. It
requires a plum moth trap that works the same way - a pheromone trap
placed on a sticky sheet of card, like fly paper.
There are a few pointers to note:-
1. The traps are specific to the moths, so need separate one for
apple, plum and pea moths
2. These traps were developed for commercial growers as an indicator
as to when to spray, not as a means of control.
3. They do offer a degree of control in the long term, as they reduce
the population
4. Understand the moths life cycle to take control. There are two
hatchings so you must follow through with the replacement pheromone
trap after 5 weeks.
5. Grease bands - you need a layer of grease that works into the
crevices of the bark in order to trap the females climbing the trunk.
The sticky paper strips are not that effective.
6. Hygiene - remove fallen fruit or apply lime to aid the
decomposition of fallen materials
7. Especially important for a fan, ensure not too tight against the
wall, to allow some air movement around the tree.

If you are going to use them as an indicator as to when to spray, the
rule they use is 5 moths in a day - then spray.

Most of the traps available are the sticky card types as described,
but there is another which is more of a control. It works by
attracting the males into the trap, which contains a electrostaticlly
charged powder that coats the male in female pheromone - they are
exosex - autoconfusion (produced by exosect ltd). I saw the traps in
use at RHS Garden Wisley last year

Good luck

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 26-03-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Malcolm Race
writes
I have had problems with a fan trained Victoria plum. A number of the
fruits have 'worm' tracks through the flesh. Listhening to a gardening
program on the car radio I heard a suggestion that this migh be the
plum moth.

Plum Saw Fly. I've found the pheormone traps excellent. When I don't
use them loads of the fruit is infested; when I do, very few are. I
think you need to get the traps up as soon as the tree starts to get
into flower - and maybe replace the pheromone in 4-5 weeks.

--
regards andyw