Old 28-03-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default First Queen Wasp

Yesterday I saw the first Queen wasp of the year, normally they don't
appear till the raspberries are in flower.
I know that wasps will feed on a lot of aphids and other pests, but I
react badly to their stings so I try not to let any nest on our
property.
We get enough visiting ones.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 28-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 10:37 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Yesterday I saw the first Queen wasp of the year, normally they don't
appear till the raspberries are in flower.
I know that wasps will feed on a lot of aphids and other pests, but I
react badly to their stings so I try not to let any nest on our
property.
We get enough visiting ones.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

David, how do you ensure they don't nest? I had a very bad experience
in the garden about 5 years ago, where I was stung multiple times and
chased into the house by a horde of them after I poured Jeyes fluid
into their nest in a bank. I was stung through my clothes and I
leaped into the shower, fully clothed and they were in my hair,
everywhere, ugh!!!

How can I ensure that a Queen doesn't nest, how can I recognise the
signs of nest building?

Judith

Old 29-03-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 28, 10:37 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:

Snip . . . . . I try not to let any nest on our
property.

David, how do you ensure they don't nest?

Sounds like he kills the queens but did not want to say so!

snip . . . . . . I was stung multiple times and chased into the house by a
horde of them after I poured Jeyes fluid

into their nest in a bank

Jeyes fluid!!!! I suppose you did it during the daytime! No wonder they
were mad! Buy a decent wasp killer and you'll have no trouble.

Geoff

Old 29-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[QUOTE

David, how do you ensure they don't nest? I had a very bad experience
in the garden about 5 years ago, where I was stung multiple times and
chased into the house by a horde of them after I poured Jeyes fluid
into their nest in a bank. I was stung through my clothes and I
leaped into the shower, fully clothed and they were in my hair,
everywhere, ugh!!!

Judith[/quote]

Who's a silly girl then
Old 29-03-2007, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
" writes

I poured Jeyes fluid
into their nest in a bank.

Nat West or Barclays ?

either way I'm not surprised at the retribution! Isn't there Derris or
something that works better ?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 29-03-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 29 Mar, 14:54, wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 28, 10:37 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Yesterday I saw the first Queen wasp of the year, normally they don't
appear till the raspberries are in flower.
I know that wasps will feed on a lot of aphids and other pests, but I
react badly to their stings so I try not to let any nest on our
property.
We get enough visiting ones.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

David, how do you ensure they don't nest? I had a very bad experience
in the garden about 5 years ago, where I was stung multiple times and
chased into the house by a horde of them after I poured Jeyes fluid
into their nest in a bank.

Well you can't blame them realy can you! :-)

--
Chris Green

How do I stop them Nesting?
I kill every queen I come across and get rid of every nest I find here
with Wasp killer bought from Wilkinsons or other store, Last year I
was told by one store at the end of July that they only sell it when
the wasps are around, when I asked just when that was I was told
September.
A good wasp killer powder can be either squirted into the entrance of
their nest in the late evening or even put down in a place they are
coming in and out of, they then take it back to the nest.
http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com...?prodid=132242

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries