Old 29-03-2007, 03:01 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss killer and lawn feed

Hi, I have small quantities of Ferrous Sulphate (Sulphate of Iron) and
Ammonium Nitrate that I plan to dissolve in water to sprinkle over my lawn.
The theory is that the Ferrous Suphate would kill off the moss, and the
Ammmonium Nitrate would green-up the grass and encourage growth. Can anyone
please advise me on the quantities of each, how much water, and what would
the coverage be? Thanks, regards, Robin

Old 29-03-2007, 08:41 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Robin Blackwell" wrote in message
Hi, I have small quantities of Ferrous Sulphate (Sulphate of Iron) and
Ammonium Nitrate that I plan to dissolve in water to sprinkle over my
lawn.
The theory is that the Ferrous Suphate would kill off the moss, and the
Ammmonium Nitrate would green-up the grass and encourage growth. Can
anyone
please advise me on the quantities of each, how much water, and what would
the coverage be? Thanks, regards, Robin

Do you know what sort of ferrous sulphate and ammonium nitrate you have?
Assuming that the ferrous sulphate is heptahydrate then the application rate
is about 5g per sq.metre.
If you have got your hands on pure Ammonium nitrate (potential explosive)
then the rate is about 8g per sq.metre
So dissolve 25g of ferrous sulphate in 5L of water and apply to 5 sq.metres.
40g. of pure Ammonium nitrate in 5L of water and apply to 5 sq.metres.
If you don't understand the above then play safe and flush the stuff away
down the toilet :-)

Old 30-03-2007, 10:08 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Not a good suggestion if it is the explosive type. A new version of "If
you want an unpleasant surprise.." :-))