Old 31-03-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PJ PJ is offline

Default GA100 Shredder Help Please!

Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me with advice on the repair of a
Black&Decker GA100 Garden Shredder?

The top bearing in the electric motor has broken and needs replacing.
It would appear that some spares are still available in the UK. I have
removed the motor from the shredder, but can't work out how to remove
the top bearing.

I have got as far as removing the motor assembly from the main housing
but now I'm stuck. I assume that I need to remove the pulley from the
top of the armature first in order to replace the bearing, but how is
the pulley attached and what do I need to do to remove it?

Any advice on taking this thing apart so I can refurbish it would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Old 31-03-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me with advice on the repair of a
Black&Decker GA100 Garden Shredder?

The top bearing in the electric motor has broken and needs replacing.
It would appear that some spares are still available in the UK. I have
removed the motor from the shredder, but can't work out how to remove
the top bearing.

I have got as far as removing the motor assembly from the main housing
but now I'm stuck. I assume that I need to remove the pulley from the
top of the armature first in order to replace the bearing, but how is
the pulley attached and what do I need to do to remove it?

Any advice on taking this thing apart so I can refurbish it would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Heres an exploded diagram,

http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/...DEL=GA100-----
A&PARENT=240&HEAD=¦1¦Black%20n%20Decker¦8¦Outdoor¦ 63¦Lawnrakers
,%20Shredders%20and%20Power%20Brooms¦240¦Shredders

Hope it helps

Anthony

Old 31-03-2007, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me with advice on the repair of a
Black&Decker GA100 Garden Shredder?

The top bearing in the electric motor has broken and needs replacing.
It would appear that some spares are still available in the UK. I have
removed the motor from the shredder, but can't work out how to remove
the top bearing.

I have got as far as removing the motor assembly from the main housing
but now I'm stuck. I assume that I need to remove the pulley from the
top of the armature first in order to replace the bearing, but how is
the pulley attached and what do I need to do to remove it?

Any advice on taking this thing apart so I can refurbish it would be
much appreciated.

If there is no visible means of securing the pulley to the shaft, like a
grub screw, then it will almost certainly have been fitted by a hydraulic
press, and you will need a puller to get it off, just like you will need a
puller to remove the bearing from its housing. These may or may not be the
same puller.

I'm not familiar with the GA 100, these are general principles.

Steve

Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PJ PJ is offline

On 31 Mar, 22:06, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks folks.

Anthony - I have the exploded view diagram and that doesn't help apart
from not showing any screw or similar holding it on.

Steve - your suggestion is sounding the most likely, so it would seem
that without the right puller(s) it could be a lost cause.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Peter

Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 31 Mar, 22:06, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

[...]

There could be some sort of key in there, (woodruff)
any way as Steve says a puller is probably the way to go.
It is possible to fabricate a type of puller with some pieces of steel and
a couple of bolts mounted in a vice, but a PIA to make so that it 'pulls'
evenly.
That said it can be done, usually just need to crack the joint, which can be
done
sometimes by knocking the pulley 'on' to the shaft. It may sound daft but
breaking the
joint is usually the hardest bit
HTH
Anthony

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PJ PJ is offline

Thanks Anthony - I might give that a try.

Peter

Anthony wrote:

"PJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post

I wonder if someone can help me with advice on the repair of a
Black&Decker GA100 Garden Shredder?

The top bearing in the electric motor has broken and needs replacing.
It would appear that some spares are still available in the UK. I have
removed the motor from the shredder, but can't work out how to remove
the top bearing.

I have got as far as removing the motor assembly from the main housing
but now I'm stuck. I assume that I need to remove the pulley from the
top of the armature first in order to replace the bearing, but how is
the pulley attached and what do I need to do to remove it?

Any advice on taking this thing apart so I can refurbish it would be
much appreciated.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me with this model. Here is what I did to repair it.

The pulley screws onto the motor shaft but its a Left Hand thread. I sprayed a little WD40 into the end of the pulley and left it over night. I found by next evening the pulley unscrewed quite easily.

You are then left with the motor armature and the die cast end of the motor case attached via the top bearing. If the bearing is truely gone then the ball bearings will have dropped out and the casing should come off. If not the outer race of the bearing is a light push fit into the diecast casing and should easily tap off with a few gentle taps or bit of manual pulling. (Pulling/tapping the casing away from the armature - obviously). If you are left with the die cast end with the outer race in it then it should tap out easily by tapping from the outside of the case (so pushing the outer race toward what would be the inside of the motor).

You are then left with either the whole bearing or just the inner race on the motor shaft. You need a small bearing puller to get this off. I tried gripping it in a vice but to no avail. In the end I bought a set of bearing pullers on eBay for a tenner. I had to cut down the ends of the smallest puller so that the claws would fit in the very tight space behind the bearing, but in front of the plastic fan. If any one in the UK wants to borrow the puller then just email me at MYPOSTNAME+eall_at_yahoo_com, removing the + and replacing the _ with dots and the MYPOSTNAME with Ian.N - and maybe we can arrange something)

The inner race came off very easily once the puller was on the job. I got a replacement bearing from blackanddeckerspaces.com, part BEARING(330003-36).

Assembly was straight forward. I tapped the bearing onto the spindle using the old inner race as a driver so that I only loaded the inner race of the new bearing. I wasn't sure how far to tap it on since there didn't seem to be any step in the shaft so I just made it look the same as when I took it apart, with the same amount of thread showing.

When putting the motor back together remember to take the brushes out first otherwise you end up trapping them as you do up the bolt on the commutator end.

Good luck to anyone tackling this repair. Certainly pleasing when it all comes together.

As a matter of interest, my pulley has concentric rings around it, so should take a grooved belt, but the replacement belts I get are toothed (part BELT TOOTHED(324983-00) from the same supplier). They still fit but you have to keep adjusting the tension frequently as the rings bit into the teeth on the belt causing it to slacken. Does anyone know where/how I get the proper grooved belt.

All the best.
Ian