Old 31-03-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default peppers

This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 31-03-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon S" wrote
This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the
seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Yes they do need warmth, 80°C+ so put them in the airing cupboard and keep a
daily check on them.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-03-2007, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 6:48 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Rhiannon S" wrote This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the
seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Yes they do need warmth, 80°C+ so put them in the airing cupboard and keep a
daily check on them.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Bob, mine have been on the window cill for 10 days and no sign of
germination. They are covered with clingfilm, is it time to throw
them out and start again?

Judith

Old 31-03-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Mar, 19:08, "
wrote:
On Mar 31, 6:48 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Rhiannon S" wrote This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the
seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Yes they do need warmth, 80°C+ so put them in the airing cupboard and keep

I think You would be a lot better of keeping them at 80f.
At 80c you will slow cook them

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 31-03-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wittered on
"Rhiannon S" wrote This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying
to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the
seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long
does it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Yes they do need warmth, 80°C+ so put them in the airing cupboard and
keep

I think You would be a lot better of keeping them at 80f.
At 80c you will slow cook them

You spotted the deliberate error there. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-03-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith.wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" replied to "Rhiannon S"
This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the
seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does
it
take?

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Yes they do need warmth, 80°F+ so put them in the airing cupboard and keep
daily check on them.

Bob, mine have been on the window cill for 10 days and no sign of
germination. They are covered with clingfilm, is it time to throw
them out and start again?

They can take two weeks or so to germinate if conditions aren't perfect so
leave them a while yet before starting again.
I planted ours last week in 5" Roottrainers and they are in a heated
propagator in our greenhouse.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-03-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 11:36 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob, I will keep them a few days more then.

Judith

Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rhiannon S wrote:

This is probably a silly question, but I'm trying to grow some Chilli
Peppers on my window sill this year. Is ii true you need to keep the seeds
warm to get them to germinate, and if it is, how warm and how long does it
take?

Not knowing any better, I sowed my seeds on a bright but cool (probably
about 15C) indoor windowsill on 18th Feb. From three pots of three[*]
seeds, 10 germinated between 14th-17th March (so 24-27 days later).

Apart from one runty one, the seedlings all now about two inches tall
and just producing their first real pair of leaves. Maybe they would
like it warmer though, so perhaps I should move them.

The two varities I'm trying are Aja Rojo and Tepin if that helps.

Mine are "cherry bomb". I've also got some others that I should get
around to sowing at some point...

Peter
[*] OK, I must have dropped in a spare
Old 02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Best temp to grow on a seedling is about 20C. Remove it from the propagator/plastic bag/clingfilm, as damping off is a common problem. If it gets leggy, bury it up to the first leaves when you repot it.

Wilder types like tepins and rocotos are harder/slower to germinate so keep waiting. Keep them warm and damp and dark.