Old 03-04-2007, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Escallonia

Greetings fellow garden enthusaists!

Advice please................

I have a large Escallonia bush in need of a trim - if I cut it back
now, will it flower this summer?

Thanks for any help with this.

Steve Jackson
Bablake Weather Station
Coventry UK
www.bablakeweather.co.uk

Old 03-04-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" asked:
snip
I have a large Escallonia bush in need of a trim - if I cut it back
now, will it flower this summer?

Thanks for any help with this.

---
I very much doubt it Steve. Best time to do the trimming is after
it has flowered, and then only lightly.

MikeCT

Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings fellow garden enthusaists!

Advice please................

I have a large Escallonia bush in need of a trim - if I cut it back
now, will it flower this summer?

Thanks for any help with this.

Steve Jackson
Bablake Weather Station
Coventry UK
www.bablakeweather.co.uk

We used to have hedges of this and it was cut hard twice a year and still
flowered, first cut in spring, second after flowering, if in doubt wait
until its flowered.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Steve
J writes
Greetings fellow garden enthusaists!

Advice please................

I have a large Escallonia bush in need of a trim - if I cut it back
now, will it flower this summer?

Thanks for any help with this.

Steve Jackson
Bablake Weather Station
Coventry UK
www.bablakeweather.co.uk

If our relatively late flowering E Crimson Spire (hedging) and Gold
Ellen are anything to go by it will produce some flowers later in the
year if trimmed now but it is better to prune them as soon as flowering
has finished.
--
Robert
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree with the others.

Wherever you live, leave it for now.

In my experience, it may well flower after a spring prune, but not until
autumn - and then presumably only if you get lots of sun / i.e. are way down
south somewhere.

Keith
(Isle of Portland, Dorset)

ups.com...