Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default midge type beasties

RE insects yes i do get bitten very easily thats why i would like
to clear then i dont have an issue with gods creatures but these are
around my garden in clusters and thru summer i get many infected bites
thanks for all the helpfull answers
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Heather" wrote in message
RE insects yes i do get bitten very easily thats why i would like
to clear then i dont have an issue with gods creatures but these are
around my garden in clusters and thru summer i get many infected bites
thanks for all the helpfull answers

I seem to recall a thread some time ago which mentioned some cream by AVON
(DING DONG) Cannot for the life of me remember which particular cream it
was, but supposedly had better repellant qualities than most insect
repellants.
Maybe someone else will help on this one ???
regards
Cineman

Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "cineman"
contains these words:

"Heather" wrote in message
RE insects yes i do get bitten very easily thats why i would like
to clear then i dont have an issue with gods creatures but these are
around my garden in clusters and thru summer i get many infected bites
thanks for all the helpfull answers

I seem to recall a thread some time ago which mentioned some cream by
AVON
(DING DONG) Cannot for the life of me remember which particular cream it
was, but supposedly had better repellant qualities than most insect
repellants.
Maybe someone else will help on this one ???
regards
Cineman

Dry oil body spray, the green one... the smell of coal tar soap
is also supposed to keep them at bay, but you can't beat a bit
of bog myrtle tucked behind an ear, as a repellant. ;-)

*so* environmentally friendly too ;-)

Old 14-04-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Heather wrote:
RE insects yes i do get bitten very easily thats why i would like
to clear then i dont have an issue with gods creatures but these are
around my garden in clusters and thru summer i get many infected bites
thanks for all the helpfull answers

Take up pipe-smoking?
Old 15-04-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
. ..
Heather wrote:
RE insects yes i do get bitten very easily thats why i would like
to clear then i dont have an issue with gods creatures but these are
around my garden in clusters and thru summer i get many infected bites
thanks for all the helpfull answers

Take up pipe-smoking?

Repellant as follows
30 mls citronella oil
5 mls fairy liquid
40 mls methylated spirit
40 mls malt vinegar
1 cup (200mls) strong cold tea

mix citronella oil with fairy liquid (Original)
in 2 litre bottle, add other ingredients and shake well.
Top up with cold water
I use it on the horse and it is brill...have put it in a garden
spray bottle and spray it all over her and me...really does work
citronella is the base for most repellants, this works out so cheap and
lasts ages.
Don't know about the health and safety aspect. Picked this up years ago,
from horsy folks

Pam

Old 15-04-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Cook
writes

Repellant as follows
30 mls citronella oil
5 mls fairy liquid
40 mls methylated spirit
40 mls malt vinegar
1 cup (200mls) strong cold tea

mix citronella oil with fairy liquid (Original)
in 2 litre bottle, add other ingredients and shake well.
Top up with cold water
I use it on the horse and it is brill...have put it in a garden
spray bottle and spray it all over her and me...really does work
citronella is the base for most repellants, this works out so cheap and
lasts ages.
Don't know about the health and safety aspect. Picked this up years ago,
from horsy folks

I have printed that off, Pam. Haven't seen the recipe before. I use a
lot of lavender oil, which most people can use directly on to their skin
but it is advisable to do a patch test if you haven't used it before.
--
June Hughes

PS. Broccoli beasties Gopher United Kingdom 4 19-06-2010 06:19 PM
Little Black Beasties on my Sunflowers The H Gardening 1 29-05-2009 10:48 PM
Pear Midge Adrian United Kingdom 2 29-05-2006 08:33 AM
Midge Eater Ronnie United Kingdom 11 05-05-2006 11:25 PM
hemerocallis Gall Midge Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 15-06-2004 01:06 PM