Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-04-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ravens and now a Vulture

Our medium sized 3 bed detached house is 19 years old and in fairly good
condition for its year.

The exterior rendering has been painted about every 5 years or so. The
windows were replaced with aluminium 8 years ago so no work required there.

Starting the middle of last year a hole appeared in one of the box ends to a
front barge board just behind the gutter. This finally culminated in the
occupation of a pair of Starlings which successfully produced a brood of
young.

Now just this last month the Starlings were evicted by a pair of Ravens or
they could be Crows..........black with big beaks and cawing a
lot..............they looked very out of place trying to occupy a 200mm
square box.

So its me, with no head for heights, up a 4 meter ladder to carry out a
temporary repair.............which I must add looked very pro when finished.

Following this we agreed to get a costing to replace all the box boards, 6
off in total measuring about 200mm square x 10mm thick each. The
fascias/soffits are all fine apart from one short length about 2 metres
which we thought just might be replaced. To be included in the work was the
remove and clean the old boards plus 2 coats of Sadolin. The only difficult
access was that to the rear of the house they would have to straddle our 5
metre wide conservatory to reach the roof safely.

We estimated approximately £50 to £75 in material costs with the wood and
Sadolin but had no idea of the cost for access equipment, so thought £400 to
£500 for the work would be a good budget cost after all 19 years it sounds
very economical.

So we then get in the local Roofing and Gutter company (no
names)............stick with a pro company to be sure of a good job and
someone to go back to should the need arise.............to provide the
estimate. The suit came and went in a flash.

The estimate arrived yesterday and this is where the Vultures come

come back Ravens..............all is forgiven.

dj

stock market huckster are running out of carefully cultivated myths(that transfers your wealth to them)that are falling to reality, buy and hold, invest for the long term, stocks are cheap right now, and now the biggie:Diversification [email protected] Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:18 PM
ravens attacking lawn and leaving patches simon garfield Lawns 6 09-10-2007 06:35 PM
2005 Gladiolus Catalog is Now Mailing. Accepting New Requests Now Summerville World-Wide Gladiolus Gardening 1 09-02-2005 12:16 PM
Vulture Leaves! Rusty Mase Texas 9 24-10-2004 07:07 AM
snails - now you see them, now you don't Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:17 AM