Old 20-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered User

Default Digging up and replanting ferns/bamboo

Hi. I live in the midlands in England and I started my first garden when I bought a house last year. So far I've cleared the jungle of weeds and laid a lawn, and planted a border on one side. However, because I'm a bit of a newb, I was not expecting the high growth rate and I have realised that I've planted the plants too close together! I am very impressed with my gardening 'skills' though, although I must have some sort of wonder soil as I just planted them and gave them some miracle gro and a bit of a prune every so often the Honey Bush in particular was less than a foot high and is now almost as high as me with huge red pineapples poking up.

Anyway, I intend to dig up and move a couple of ferns and a couple of black bamboo plants. I've read about replanting, but I would like any advice or tips that this forum could offer. Particularly, how far around the plant should I dig? They have been in for less than a year. The bamboo hasn't grown much but I suspect it's roots are far-reaching as I found one poking out about a foot away from the plant... the 'male fern' is quite small and is just unfurling out from the roots again. Do I just dig about a foot in diameter to make sure I get the main root ball? And if there are roots that go further than this is it OK to just chop them back to this level?

Thanks a lot
Gareth