Old 24-04-2007, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily Beetle

"Ornata" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 23 Apr, 00:04, "cineman"
wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message

"cineman" wrote
Correction, been watering pots of lilies tonight, found 2 in what can
only be described as close embrace.
Sprayed with provado ultimate bug killer and injured the pesks. This
is very early for West Midlands.

Over the last couple of days I've found several on my emerging lilies,
with lines of orange coloured eggs laid underneath some of the leaves.
It
does seem earlier than I've ever seen them before.

My method of execution is to hold a pot saucer underneath the plants,
knock the beasties into it and then squish 'em with a stone.

--
Sue

Last year I tried knocking them off to the floor, but found they drop and
disappear or fly off, quicker than I am.
As there appears to be only 1 known predator a type of wasp, which I
believe
is not active this early in the year, and having about 20 to 25 pots full
of
lilies, I reluctantly use a systemic pesticide.
The plant I found them on has buds emerging in the top of stems, and its
only April ?
regards
Cineman

Here in London I've been picking off scores of them for the past
couple of weeks. I missed a couple of Lilium martagon and they've
been turned to lace. Picking off the adults is bad enough, but having
to wipe off the excrement-covered larvae is almost stomach-churning.
I'm getting to the stage where I'm considering using a systemic
pesticide but I'm not happy about it; how long does it remain in the
plant? Will it kill pollinating insects?

Provado ultimate bug killer is effective for up to 6 weeks, I do not
believe that it will harm pollinators but may well catch leaf miners and
other such biting insects.
It is the only garden spray I use, usually rely on natural predators.

Bear in mind the warning that the pollen from lilies can make cats very ill,
even if lightly brushed against their coat and they lick to clean...

regards
Cineman

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM