Old 20-04-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Lily Beetle

In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-04-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp just wondering
what others do about them.

Ultimate bug Killer!

I'm organic in my own and clients' gardens apart from that for Lliy beetle
and Viburnum beetle - it stops them both dead!

12 years ago I took over a garden in wimbledon village where the guy
insistedi spray the 50+ for greenfly eery week - there was ALWAS a greenfly
problem. After a year or so, I stopped without him noticing. Over a year or
so the greenfly problem completely disappeared as the garden ( 1/2 Acre
plus) settled into balance.

But Lily & Viburnum beetle need chemical treatment to be really effective.

pk

Old 20-04-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The little barstewards go for my Fritilleria and Cardiocrinums.
Not the brightest bugs as they really are very noticeable. I just pick them
off and stamp on them. Daily vigilance until all the grubs have hatched
seems to stop them.

Old 20-04-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The little barstewards go for my Fritilleria and Cardiocrinums.
Not the brightest bugs as they really are very noticeable. I just pick
them off and stamp on them. Daily vigilance until all the grubs have
hatched seems to stop them.

this may sound daft - but if they are so easy to see could you hoover the
plant with a hand vac?

Old 20-04-2007, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The little barstewards go for my Fritilleria and Cardiocrinums.
Not the brightest bugs as they really are very noticeable. I just pick
them off and stamp on them. Daily vigilance until all the grubs have
hatched seems to stop them.

this may sound daft - but if they are so easy to see could you hoover the
plant with a hand vac?

You mean Dyson with death:-)

Old 20-04-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.

I usually pick them off one at a time and tap them on the head with my size
11s but last year they were such a pain just as I was about to go on holiday
that I resorted to spraying a systemic and that did for them for the whole
season. Plants are growing better than ever this year probably because they
weren't damaged as usual so I won't hesitate to use a spray again but so far
not one to be seen, it's only a matter of time.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-04-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
Difficult to eradicate as they normally drop when approached, or fly away.
Provado Ultimate bug killer gives ( it says) up to 6 weeks control, The
weather is warm enough for them to be active now coupled with warm winter.
I had small infestation last year but have seen any at this stage.

regards
Cineman

ups.com...

Old 22-04-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 20, 10:55 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...

[...]

Bob which one did you use? I have just come in from the garden and it
seems I have quite a problem with them this year.

Old 22-04-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
k...
Hi,
Difficult to eradicate as they normally drop when approached, or fly away.
Provado Ultimate bug killer gives ( it says) up to 6 weeks control, The
weather is warm enough for them to be active now coupled with warm winter.
I had small infestation last year but have seen any at this stage.

regards
Cineman

Correction, been watering pots of lilies tonight, found 2 in what can only
be described as close embrace.
Sprayed with provado ultimate bug killer and injured the pesks. This is very
early for West Midlands.
Regards
Cineman

ups.com...

Old 22-04-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote
Correction, been watering pots of lilies tonight, found 2 in what can
only be described as close embrace.
Sprayed with provado ultimate bug killer and injured the pesks. This
is very early for West Midlands.

Over the last couple of days I've found several on my emerging lilies,
with lines of orange coloured eggs laid underneath some of the leaves.
It does seem earlier than I've ever seen them before.

My method of execution is to hold a pot saucer underneath the plants,
knock the beasties into it and then squish 'em with a stone.

--
Sue

Old 23-04-2007, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"cineman" wrote
Correction, been watering pots of lilies tonight, found 2 in what can
only be described as close embrace.
Sprayed with provado ultimate bug killer and injured the pesks. This
is very early for West Midlands.

Over the last couple of days I've found several on my emerging lilies,
with lines of orange coloured eggs laid underneath some of the leaves. It
does seem earlier than I've ever seen them before.

My method of execution is to hold a pot saucer underneath the plants,
knock the beasties into it and then squish 'em with a stone.

--
Sue

Last year I tried knocking them off to the floor, but found they drop and
disappear or fly off, quicker than I am.
As there appears to be only 1 known predator a type of wasp, which I believe
is not active this early in the year, and having about 20 to 25 pots full of
lilies, I reluctantly use a systemic pesticide.
The plant I found them on has buds emerging in the top of stems, and its
only April ?
regards
Cineman

Old 23-04-2007, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 23 Apr, 00:04, "cineman"
wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message

"cineman" wrote
[...]

Here in London I've been picking off scores of them for the past
couple of weeks. I missed a couple of Lilium martagon and they've
been turned to lace. Picking off the adults is bad enough, but having
to wipe off the excrement-covered larvae is almost stomach-churning.
I'm getting to the stage where I'm considering using a systemic
pesticide but I'm not happy about it; how long does it remain in the
plant? Will it kill pollinating insects?

Old 23-04-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ornata wrote:

I'm getting to the stage where I'm considering using a systemic
pesticide but I'm not happy about it; how long does it remain in the
plant? Will it kill pollinating insects?

Spray regularly before flowering and restrict the spray to the Lillies and
the risk to plllinators is minimal.

pk

Old 23-04-2007, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr 2007 09:41:36 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

In the last week I must have found 40 of these little beasts on a
couple of pots of lilies that the wife bought last year. never had
them before.
I've looked at the RHS advice for them http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
just wondering what others do about them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

As soon as my lilies started shooting I sprayed with Ultimate Bug
Killer. It has worked in previous years, but have to keep repeating
it. I haven't seen any beetles yet but a friend nearby has caught
some. I guess they flew across the Bristol Channel to you!!

Pam in Bristol

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM