Old 21-04-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How very provoking

I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

kate

Old 21-04-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/4/07 11:16, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

kate

Definitely not mice?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-04-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Apr, 11:39, Sacha wrote:
On 21/4/07 11:16, in article
, "Kate Morgan"

wrote:
I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

kate

Definitely not mice?
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I'm with Sacha, field mice would be my bet, Are the tops still there?
If not then mice.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 21-04-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

didn't really consider mice, the plants are tumbler tomato's in hanging
baskets about 5ft. up a wall, but I suppose mice do climb very well and yes
the tops have gone. Don't suppose that they will shoot out and grow again?

kate

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 21 Apr, 11:39, Sacha wrote:
On 21/4/07 11:16, in article
, "Kate Morgan"

Old 21-04-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

Pigeons!

Hang something bright red near or on the containers, pigeons are scared of
anything red!

kate

Old 22-04-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Apr, 15:19, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
didn't really consider mice, the plants are tumbler tomato's in hanging
baskets about 5ft. up a wall, but I suppose mice do climb very well and yes
the tops have gone. Don't suppose that they will shoot out and grow again?

kate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 21 Apr, 11:39, Sacha wrote:
On 21/4/07 11:16, in article
, "Kate Morgan"

wrote:
I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the
little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not
good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

kate

Definitely not mice?
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I'm with Sacha, field mice would be my bet, Are the tops still there?
If not then mice.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

If there are any leaves left on the stem then you will get side shoots
growing from the leaf axil.

Old 22-04-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sadly whoever or whatever it was ate all the shoots, I have now spoilt their
fun by taking the baskets back into the greenhouse for a few weeks, bigger
plants will not be so tasty I hope. Thanks all for your input.

kate

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 21 Apr, 15:19, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
didn't really consider mice, the plants are tumbler tomato's in hanging
baskets about 5ft. up a wall, but I suppose mice do climb very well and
yes
the tops have gone. Don't suppose that they will shoot out and grow
again?

kate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Dave
Hill" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 21 Apr, 11:39, Sacha wrote:
On 21/4/07 11:16, in article
, "Kate Morgan"

Old 25-04-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

Having thought that I was being very clever and having moved my baskets
into the greenhouse - see earlier post - I find this morning that another
plant has been gobbled up, so it must be mice I suppose :-(

kate

Old 25-04-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/4/07 20:17, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I feed the birds and do my very best to provide them with a safe birdy
garden in which to live, then this morning I find that one of the little
hooters has pecked off the tops of my tiny tomato plants, it is not good
enough, mutter mutter mutter

Having thought that I was being very clever and having moved my baskets
into the greenhouse - see earlier post - I find this morning that another
plant has been gobbled up, so it must be mice I suppose :-(

Sounds horribly like it. And if you've got one......... I do suggest you
get a company in to put down bait in the right places and boxes. I've had
to do it in my previous house and it's routine here - every six weeks in
season. The problem with ignoring mice is that in autumn they find nice,
warm, cosy places to live and sometimes, that's your attic or cellar. Then
they nibble on electrical cabling etc. and that is NOT safe. Much better
to deal with the problem now, have regular checks throughout the summer and
put your mind at rest longterm. The company we use is called Baroque and
they're excellent. I have no idea if they operate outside this area but if
they do, I recommend them.

Old 26-04-2007, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thank you Sacha, most helpful, I haven't noticed any in the house - just
spiders - I keep bait down all the time in the stables and don't have
very much trouble there either. Now to get some more tomato plants going

kate