Old 30-04-2007, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extending fence posts upwards

Hi,

I want to extend my garden fence upwards (for privacy), its currently about
4 to 5 foot high, concrete posts
with wooden panels. Is this possible or do i have to have the longer 6 foot
posts put in.

thanks

Old 30-04-2007, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Block
wrote:

I want to extend my garden fence upwards (for privacy), its currently about
4 to 5 foot high, concrete posts
with wooden panels. Is this possible or do i have to have the longer 6 foot
posts put in.

There are extender systems for timber posts but it's not easy with
concrete unless you can find a metal sleeve which fits neatly over the
top, like

http://www.corusconstruction.com/en/...building_produ
cts/catnic/products/quikpost/qwikpost_universal_post_extender

Standard trees are another option and if you don't mind spending a few
bob you could buy a few mature ones of the right height - ie so that
the foliage extends neatly above the fence - and plant them next to it.
They shouldn't ever grow much taller.
Old 30-04-2007, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Block" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to extend my garden fence upwards (for privacy), its currently
about 4 to 5 foot high, concrete posts
with wooden panels. Is this possible or do i have to have the longer 6
foot posts put in.

thanks

What you could do, is what a neighbour at one of my daughter's houses has
done, and that is to fix posts on the inside extending up, and then fix a
trellis on top. He has extended the height to about 7 feet and when climbers
are over that, he has privacy.

BUT, not sure how high you can go, I believe 7 ft is the limit

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
new sig pending :-))

Old 30-04-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The quickest solution is the post extender, but at around £10 each for each
post is as much as a new longer post. Also, you have to factor in the cost
of larger panels to reach the new height.

My understanding is that the legal maximum height, without the need for
agreement or planning permission is 2 metres - just over 6'6" tall.

Assuming you wish to DIY to a height of about 6 feet, at least cost, by
using your existing posts and fence panels, rather than erect a brand new
fence, I can think of two options:

1. Use the post extenders to extend the height of your existing fence by 1
foot and insert (with help from a strong friend) an additional concrete base
panel on top of each existing base panel, with the existing fence panel over
the top. Problem is you will also need one foot or concrete post or timber
to extend the height and either way it may not look too pretty.

Total cost - £10 for each post extender, £3 for each new base panel plus
the cost of each concrete or timber post extension and............... a few
drinks for your strong friend ..........or.....

2. Do as above but use new longer posts. Or if you are really lucky (as I
once was) you may find the existing posts are long enough to pull up by up
to one foot taller and reset in quick set fence concrete. If you hire a
concrete breaker, the concrete around the base of existing posts should come
away fairly easily (well it did when I last did it). Try it with one
post......if it can be pulled up high enough you have saved yourself around
£10 a new post.

Total cost - as in option 1 if you use new posts instead of extenders, (£10
per post less if you use the existing posts), plus a bag of quick set fence
post concrete for each post and a weekend hire for a concrete breaker.

Hope this helps..........good luck

Alan

Old 30-04-2007, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Block" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to extend my garden fence upwards (for privacy), its currently
about 4 to 5 foot high, concrete posts
with wooden panels. Is this possible or do i have to have the longer 6
foot posts put in.

thanks

Thanks for all those informative replies,
I think I will consider the post extender, not so cheap
but i dont fancy replacing concrete posts.

thanks