Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

Default Teak Oil recommendation

On May 2, 9:38 am, "Java Jive" wrote:
I wonder how many of these teak products come from renewable, managed timber
sources and how many from illegal logging of the earth's rainforests ...

wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 2, 8:56 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/5/07 13:10, in article
om, "RayV"

wrote:
On May 2, 4:46 am, "JWBH" wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil

on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

Don't know but we have a few Teak benches at work and the maintenance
guy was just 'teak-oiling' them and it smelled just like Linseed Oil
to me.

I'd recommend Danish Oil - lots of yotties use it for teak decking and

it's
excellent.

I recently made some teak parts for my daughter's boat and did a
search on how to finish. Came accross this product Teakguard, Teak
Maintenance Kit (TGK016) athttp://www.MarineStore.com.- Hide quoted text -

Teak Oil is a product based on on tung oil and polymers not teak trees
so obviously it does not come from "...renewable, managed timber
sources.."

Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 4:46 am, "JWBH" wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

I have had fairly good luck with Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak
finish. Cost about $25 qt. You must carefully follow the directions
for prep and apply all the coats specified. Be prepared for heartache.
Teak really hates being finished.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 May 2007 RayV wrote:

Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

Don't know but we have a few Teak benches at work and the maintenance
guy was just 'teak-oiling' them and it smelled just like Linseed Oil
to me.

It *is* linseed oil plus a few other ingredients such as dryers.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

Glad to hear it ...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Teak Oil is a product based on on tung oil and polymers not teak trees