Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

Default Teak Oil recommendation

Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

"JWBH" wrote in message
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on
it. Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

I doubt if there's anything really special about teak oil - certainly not
from a teak tree - so it's probably linseed or some such oil in a different
bottle! I reckon you would be better off using a colourless beeswax based
polish such as Briwax I think it's named. I expect you'll not oil/wax the
chairs so why bother anyway? Buy a plastic cover and some long bungy
rubbers!

Geoff

Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 4:46 am, "JWBH" wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

Don't know but we have a few Teak benches at work and the maintenance
guy was just 'teak-oiling' them and it smelled just like Linseed Oil
to me.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 8:56 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/5/07 13:10, in article
om, "RayV"

wrote:
On May 2, 4:46 am, "JWBH" wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

Don't know but we have a few Teak benches at work and the maintenance
guy was just 'teak-oiling' them and it smelled just like Linseed Oil
to me.

I'd recommend Danish Oil - lots of yotties use it for teak decking and it's
excellent.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

teak I posted the following:

I recently made some teak parts for my daughter's boat and did a
search on how to finish. Came accross this product Teakguard, Teak
Maintenance Kit (TGK016) at http://www.MarineStore.com. Says that you
only need to do once a year so gave it a try. Looks good now but have
no idea as to long
term results.

I understand that the problem with most outdoor type finishes is that
barrier type such as spar varnish succumb to the expansion and
contraction due to temp changes and crack and peel off and in general
oil type finishes do not protect against UV rays and wood greys.
Still to soon to comment on the stuff I used but the sales lit looks
good.

Ed

Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

I wonder how many of these teak products come from renewable, managed timber
sources and how many from illegal logging of the earth's rainforests ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 2, 8:56 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/5/07 13:10, in article
om, "RayV"

Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

You have good suggestions below. However, if you are stuck on Teak Oil find
a dealer or website that sells sailing equipment. Sailors spend half their
lives refinishing the teak on their boats. They usually re-do the same
areas every two or three years.

Might as well try a good soaking with danish or tung oil.

RonB

Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic reasons or
is it because you want to stop the wood from deteriorating. If for the
second reason, it would be a waste of effort because putting on teak oil
will make no difference at all.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

JWBH wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak

Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please?

You can't get there from here.

1) Trying to finish teak is like hitting yourself in the head with a
hammer.

It feels so good when you stop.

2) There is NOTHING associated with teak that is reasonably priced.

The above based on trying to maintain teak on a boat.

Lew

Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lew Hodgett wrote:
JWBH wrote:
Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil
on it. Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please?

You can't get there from here.

1) Trying to finish teak is like hitting yourself in the head with a
hammer.

It feels so good when you stop.

2) There is NOTHING associated with teak that is reasonably priced.

The above based on trying to maintain teak on a boat.

Lew

As were my comments above, based on 20 years of yachting.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stickems. wrote:
Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic
reasons or is it because you want to stop the wood from
deteriorating. If for the second reason, it would be a waste of
effort because putting on teak oil will make no difference at all.

And that dramatic statement is based on what facts..........?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 02-05-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 May 2007 20:26:10 +0100, BoyPete wrote:

Stickems. wrote:
Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic
reasons or is it because you want to stop the wood from
deteriorating. If for the second reason, it would be a waste of
effort because putting on teak oil will make no difference at all.

And that dramatic statement is based on what facts..........?

We've got a rather expensive (Hartman) teak table BP. The instructions
clearly state that putting teak oil on the table will not extend it's life.
Without the oil it will turn a grey colour but will last just as long.

Having said that I *do* put teak oil on the table cos it looks *so* much
nicer - yep - just cosmetic I suppose !
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking,free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening

JWBH wrote:

Have just got a wooden garden table. I'm told I need to put Teak Oil on it.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably price brand please? Thanks

So-called "teak oil" is a sales gimmick. It's just an oil/varnish mix like
many others. Probably linseed oil but could be tung oil.

Try Watco Outdoor (or was it Exterior?) Finish. UV protection and easily
refinished as needed (every year or two). Just don't believe the square feet
covered that's specified on the can (DAMHIKT).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stickems. wrote:
Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic
reasons or is it because you want to stop the wood from
deteriorating. If for the second reason, it would be a waste of
effort because putting on teak oil will make no difference at all.

And that dramatic statement is based on what facts..........?

We've got a rather expensive (Hartman) teak table BP. The instructions
clearly state that putting teak oil on the table will not extend it's
life. Without the oil it will turn a grey colour but will last just
as long.

Having said that I *do* put teak oil on the table cos it looks *so*
much nicer - yep - just cosmetic I suppose !

Oh, I'm aware of what your instuctions might say..........I've read it
elsewhere too.
If you take a chunk of oily wood like teak, and .............lets
say........treat it as 'alive'. If you don't oil it, the surface effectively
'dies'. This will then, over time, absorb water. The eventual effect will be
that the wood becomes spongey, and looses it's strength. Now, I appreciate
that this is not a major problem with garden furniture, but on a boat, it's
a different matter. I've got the T-shirt, having to build a steamer to bend
new hand rails, toe rails and decking on a boat. This, on a yacht surveyors
instructions, before I could insure it. That's my 'opinion' based on facts
of life. Of course, I accept the right of others to differ..............
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK