Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Electric for Pond\Pebble Pool

Can anyone advise me what size armoured cable I need from the house to
the junction\distribution box. I plan to run a pump, light and
possibly a mister. There seems to be a wide range from 1.5mm (27 Amps)
to 16mm (110 Amps).

Has anyone tried the Oase FM Master or Velda Remote Control Socket
units.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone advise me what size armoured cable I need from the house to
the junction\distribution box. I plan to run a pump, light and
possibly a mister. There seems to be a wide range from 1.5mm (27 Amps)
to 16mm (110 Amps).

1.5 will suffice unless you have the pump that's running Trafalgar Square
fountains that is. ;-)

Has anyone tried the Oase FM Master or Velda Remote Control Socket
units.

Nope

Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone advise me what size armoured cable I need from the house to
the junction\distribution box. I plan to run a pump, light and
possibly a mister. There seems to be a wide range from 1.5mm (27 Amps)
to 16mm (110 Amps).

The thickness of the wire you need depends on the length and the "fuse"
rating at the CU - not what you plan to power with it - although obviously
that has to be taken into account. In other words if it's "fused" for 13A
then you use 13A in the calculation not the 5A or whatever you plan to take
out of it. Once you know the current rating, the length and wire guage you
can check if the voltage drop at the far end will be within limits. There
are tables for this. If not then redo the calculation with a fatter wire.

Since you appear to be in the UK - legally you need to make a Building
Control Application for any DIY electrical work outdoors (unless you are
just pluging in a pre-wired set of lights which you arent). Best pay a
profesional to do it. You know it makes sense.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Strictly England and Wales, part 'P' of the building regulations
doesn't apply in Scotland.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 18:44, "CWatters"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Can anyone advise me what size armoured cable I need from the house to
the junction\distribution box. I plan to run a pump, light and
possibly a mister. There seems to be a wide range from 1.5mm (27 Amps)
to 16mm (110 Amps).

The thickness of the wire you need depends on the length and the "fuse"
rating at the CU - not what you plan to power with it - although obviously
that has to be taken into account. In other words if it's "fused" for 13A
then you use 13A in the calculation not the 5A or whatever you plan to take
out of it.

The wire at the 'house' end will be plugged into a standard wall
socket with an RCD. The plug will have a 13 amp fuse.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Registered User

1.5mm - 2.5mm should do, but do you have a total wattage of everthing?

Also the length of run of the cable - the longer the run the larger the cable has to be, but it depends on the the total wattage / volts / length of run, there are tables to determine the volt drop per meter of cable.

Also please post what cable you plan to use as different cables have a different volt drops - but the main thing is the total wattage, the voltage and the length of run of the cable.

The pump and Mister wont have a large load (wattage) but the light might have a large load.............best thing is to post back with the total loading of the cable (total wattage and the voltage)