Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Getting rid of horsetai?

The "resident weed" in my garden, in Forest Hall, Newcastle -on Tyne,
is horsetail. Every garden has a "resident weed" hasn't it?

Last year I systematically squirted every growth of horsetail with
weedkiller, and I reckon I got the horsetail down to 5% of what it had
been and last winter I dug the whole garden over and pulled out what I
could.

But of course, there is still some coming up this spring. Once again I
am squirting it with weedkiller.

Is there any more productive method of getting rid of it?

Michael Bell
Old 03-05-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 5:52 am, Michael Bell wrote:

The "resident weed" in my garden, in Forest Hall, Newcastle -on Tyne,
is horsetail. Every garden has a "resident weed" hasn't it?

At least one. Mine is ground elder which I don't find too bad. It
comes in from the field boundary and there is not a lot I can do about
it. There is a small amount of bindweed in hedges but nothing too bad.

Last year I systematically squirted every growth of horsetail with
weedkiller, and I reckon I got the horsetail down to 5% of what it had
been and last winter I dug the whole garden over and pulled out what I
could.

But of course, there is still some coming up this spring. Once again I
am squirting it with weedkiller.

Is there any more productive method of getting rid of it?

Moving house is generally reckonned to be effective provided that you
move far enough away and check that the new house does not have it.

The "roots" of horsetail go down a very long way and store a lot of
energy. You have to hit it meticulously with systemic weedkiller on a
regular basis - bruising the structure first helps prevent its silica
exoskeleton from blocking absorption of the weedkiller. It is almost
waterproof! Never let any of it see light and it will eventually give
up the ghost.

it is a war of attrition that probably can be won if you stick at it -
at least to keep it under control. But drop your guard for a few weeks
and it will be back (unless you can clear it from all neighbouring
ground as well).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Hello Michael,

We have a huge amount of horsetail. I too sprayed it last year with a
Glyphosate weedkiller. It has come back in many areas but is maybe less
than previously.

The best area, is a 2ft x 12ft patch, where I started digging it out the
year before last, and removed the very few individual weeds that came up
last year. So far, none of it has come back in that section at all,
although the horizontal roots are no doubt still there.

I've cleared a similar sized area in a different section this year,
digging down about 2 feet, removing soil into a wheel-barrow, so that I
can get down as deep as possible.

The problem with that area, is that it is next to the pavement flags, and
it appears that the root growth extends underneath the pavement, and it
grows through the pavement flags. Does anyone know if the council have a
duty to remove it from there ? I was wondering if it would be worth
asking, or would they just laugh at me ?

Which particular brand of weedkiller did you use ? I have been using Bio
Glyphosate (1 litre), which cost £11.99 to treat 400 sq.m.

Also, what time of the year do you apply it ? I bought another brand, and
it said use it in July, but I'm not sure I can wait that long this time.
I've been using a pressure sprayer to apply it. This Bio brand doesn't
specify a time to apply.

Are you aware of the need to cut off the brown fertile spores which spread
the seed (like dust), in early spring ?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Martin,

I've read about this bruising before, but how do you do it, especially
when you have a lot of the stuff ? I tried scraping some of the plant
stems with a Stanley knive last year, but it was long and labourious. Also
tried sandpaper.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
(Paul S) wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

The weedkiller I have used is "Fast action roundup" containing
7.2g/litre of glyphosate.

I haven't been bruising the horsetails - I never thought of doing it -
but I have sprayed the horsetails when they show up and it has been
effective; they turn brown and die. Whether by idleness or an
exploration of possibilities, a man over the road allows horsetail to
grow in one of his beds, fully grown it looks rather nice, like green
hair which I could stroke. It's funny to feel like that about a weed
which I hate in my own garden. The horsetail in his garden is now 6 -
8" high. Only a few horsetails have come up so far in my garden and
only an inch or two and I squirted them straight away, I am fairly
well pleased with my year's work.

Michael Bell

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM