Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple tree polination question

I am aware that certain types of apple require another type to
pollinate, however is this solely a question of blossom time? In other
words will Apple A and B pollinate each other if they are in blossom
together? The reason I ask this is that I have a number of trees which
were carefully chosen in pairs for pollination. However due to the
vagaries of the weather they are not always in blossom together, hence
cannot possibly cross pollinate, though others, which are not paired are
blossoming together.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
I am aware that certain types of apple require another type to
pollinate, however is this solely a question of blossom time? In other
words will Apple A and B pollinate each other if they are in blossom
together? The reason I ask this is that I have a number of trees which
were carefully chosen in pairs for pollination. However due to the
vagaries of the weather they are not always in blossom together, hence
cannot possibly cross pollinate, though others, which are not paired are
blossoming together.

It is of course necessary that 2 varieties are in flower at the same time
for them to even have the chance of X-fertilisation.

However some varieties are pretty much sterile, their pollen cannot
fertilise other trees, e.g. Bramley.

This year I've found that nearly all my apple blossom has overlapped, I
even have a flower out on Court Pendu Platt, which is a very late
flowerer! If you have several, non-sterile, apples in blossom at roughly
the same time you should get a good set.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim Jackson wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Meant to say look at

http://www.brogdale.org/choosepollination.html

Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It certainly has been an odd year for blossom. Here we are in the
first week of May and all my blossom has gone over. I was down at
Brogdale farm last week and their blossom seems to be behind! I would
suggest that normally you should have no problem with group A & B
overlapping. Mine more or less came at the same time making a
nonsense of the flowering groups. Having a crab apple is usually a
certain way to ensure pollination as their blossom is longer lasting

There are some apples that are partially self fertile, such as Fiesta
and Peasgood's Nonsuch
There are Tripliods and Tetraploids that require more than one
pollinator
Then there are those that are self sterile

Pollination is depentand having suitable types overlapping flowering
periods but also you are reliant on insects - so if the temperatures
are out - too cold - no flying insects poor pollination occures.

Another reason for poor set it down to feed. People plant fruit trees
don't feed them. A general purpose feed in early spring doen't go
amiss; do not apply too much nitrogen though as you will only
encourage weak sappy growth.

Regards

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Bramley apple polination David in Normandy[_7_] United Kingdom 20 19-08-2008 08:52 PM
Pollinating apple espalier apple Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 2 22-04-2007 05:44 PM
Crab apple polination partner gasdoctor Edible Gardening 2 19-07-2006 08:47 PM
bee polination daniela Orchids 7 02-02-2006 01:57 PM
Polination Ed Stuart Gardening 1 29-08-2004 05:51 AM