Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
daniela

Default bee polination

recently we got about 160 families of bees, I could offer them for
polination in south florida. Any farmers in need of it?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

LOL
Now here is an idea! Release 160 families of bees in a greenhouse full of
orchids. Let them pollinate to their hearts content. See what kinds of
hybrids result from this experiment. Somehow I don't think that any orchid
vendor will be interested in that, nor in being called a 'farmer'. :-)
Joanna

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

J Fortuna wrote:
LOL
Now here is an idea! Release 160 families of bees in a greenhouse full of
orchids. Let them pollinate to their hearts content. See what kinds of
hybrids result from this experiment. Somehow I don't think that any orchid
vendor will be interested in that, nor in being called a 'farmer'. :-)
Joanna

"daniela" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
recently we got about 160 families of bees, I could offer them for
polination in south florida. Any farmers in need of it?

Hi Bee Person: I will cop to being a farmer & I have a suggestion for
what to do with your bees (actually several suggestions but this is a
family program) LOL But you can: don a loose fitting garment {no
underwear} dump the bee families down the neck opening & dance to your
heart's content G Bill

Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Joanna: You're 100% correct about the bees -- don't want 'em and don't know
anyone who might. So I second Bill's suggestion to the bee-producer ...
But I have no problem with being called a farmer. Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
LOL
Now here is an idea! Release 160 families of bees in a greenhouse full of
orchids. Let them pollinate to their hearts content. See what kinds of
hybrids result from this experiment. Somehow I don't think that any orchid
vendor will be interested in that, nor in being called a 'farmer'. :-)
Joanna

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

As a third generation Apiarist (Bee-keeper) with over 10,000 hives in the
family biusiness might I suggest that you :

a) stop referring to them as "families" which is a grossly inappropriate
biological term for a hive

b) stop referring to them as a recent acquisition and offer free to a few
farms near you for a few years till you get experience. Primary Producers
need to have confidence in your abilities, this is their livelihood you are
dabbling with.

c) advertise what form/breed of bee you have, eg. caucasians, italians etc

and

d) try an orchards (fruit growers) group NOT the local ORCHID (pretty
flowers we love that bees mostly cannot pollinate) group.

Kye.

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

Of course it is my dear little Italian friend..... Though it does namely
refer to the colouration of the bee and its temperament...

I like Italian bees :-)

Kye.

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
~c) advertise what form/breed of bee you have, eg. caucasians, italians etc

Now, Kye, is this politically correct? ;-Þ

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Hi All, In a moment of reflection I have decided to defend the "bee
person" : Perhaps she does not know what havoc bees would create in a
Cattleya green house. Next, perhaps she does know how beneficial they
would be to an orange grove. Perhaps she thinks oranges are grown in
"orchards" & simply mis-spelled orchards to orchids. I have had people
come to my sales booths at shows & refer to the orchid plants as
orchards so------ ????? However I can assure her that "Orchid Farmers"
{they are crops after all}, do not want or need bees buzzing around
their green houses {read: shade houses in Fl.} However in the event
that she decides to enter a dance contest, my earlier suggestion would
be helpful. G Good Growing {sans bees}, Bill