Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Greenhouse Cropped Bolts Source

On May 6, 1:45 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 6 May, 10:12, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:07:01 +0100, judith wrote:

|!I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped
|!bolts.

When I was an apprentice mumble years ago I *made* a tool to do this,
unfortunately metrication has made them useless. Must make a metric
one.

Drill and tap a hole in a 1/4 inch thick bit if mild steel about 1 inch
wide. Saw through centre of the hole, lengthwise in mild steel. Put
long
bolt in tapped hole. Put tool in vice squeezing shut saw cut. Hacksaw
bolt to length as required.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project

Terry clearly isn't a gardener with greenhouse as he would have
recognised what Judith is talking about. These are Aluminium bolts
which can fit into a slot in the Aluminium extrusion of the G/H frame
and lock in place when turned through 90 degrees and the nut
tightened.

Yes, and they need to be aluminium. Steel ones would rust in the moist
atmosphere of a greenhouse.

Mary- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to Judith and Mary for answering my basic question 'What is a
cropped bolt'!
Never heard the term before.
So it's an Aluminum (oops, sorry that's Aluminium!) bolt used to
attach items to greenhouse framing.
But by such information one can grow and propagate.
Cheers from Canada. Terry.