Old 19-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Grimsby
Default Crittall Greenhouse - new bolts required

I purchased a large second hand Crittall Green house last year and of course upon dismantling to transfer to my home, many of the aluminium bolts and nuts sheared off. I have tried high and low to obtain some replacement bolts and nuts trying other greenhouse and fixing suppliers.The bolts slots into the frame for fixing and securing, they are aluminium slotted pan head 1/2" long by 1/4" dia. The slotted pan head has to be approx 1/8" wide to slot into support channel frame, etc. Many places stock spare greenhouse bolts, but they are the type with square heads, mainly for Halls Type greenhouses. Could anyone tell me or point me in the right direct for a supplier, or perhaps an ex supplier to Crittall in the past? - many thanks in anticipation.
Old 19-12-2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul Nixon wrote:

I purchased a large second hand Crittall Green house last year and of
course upon dismantling to transfer to my home, many of the aluminium
bolts and nuts sheared off. I have tried high and low to obtain some
replacement bolts and nuts trying other greenhouse and fixing
suppliers.The bolts slots into the frame for fixing and securing, they
are aluminium slotted pan head 1/2" long by 1/4" dia. The slotted pan
head has to be approx 1/8" wide to slot into support channel frame,
etc. Many places stock spare greenhouse bolts, but they are the type
with square heads, mainly for Halls Type greenhouses. Could anyone tell
me or point me in the right direct for a supplier, or perhaps an ex
supplier to Crittall in the past? - many thanks in anticipation.

If all else fails;

http://www.crittall.co.uk/

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 19-12-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul Nixon" wrote in message

I purchased a large second hand Crittall Green house last year and of
course upon dismantling to transfer to my home, many of the aluminium
bolts and nuts sheared off. I have tried high and low to obtain some
replacement bolts and nuts trying other greenhouse and fixing
suppliers.The bolts slots into the frame for fixing and securing, they
are aluminium slotted pan head 1/2" long by 1/4" dia. The slotted pan
head has to be approx 1/8" wide to slot into support channel frame,
etc. Many places stock spare greenhouse bolts, but they are the type
with square heads, mainly for Halls Type greenhouses. Could anyone tell
me or point me in the right direct for a supplier, or perhaps an ex
supplier to Crittall in the past? - many thanks in anticipation.
Paul Nixon

Go to a hardware store with one of the bolts, and compare them to Torx head
hardware. You'll probably find a solution. Don't forget to buy a Torx driver
before leaving the store.

Old 21-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered User

I'm currently rebuilding a Crittall greenhouse and have the same problem but being a retired Engineer I quickly found a solution.
I am using M6 x 20 (6mm dia x 20mm long) Galv Roofing bolts which have a large diameter but fairly flat dome head with cross slots. All you need to do is file two flats on the edge of the head in line with one of the slots so that the bolt slides into the slot in the framework. They are not expensive and readily available.
Regards,
Frank Gibson.

Old 28-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gibson View Post
I'm currently rebuilding a Crittall greenhouse and have the same problem but being a retired Engineer I quickly found a solution.
I am using M6 x 20 (6mm dia x 20mm long) Galv Roofing bolts which have a large diameter but fairly flat dome head with cross slots. All you need to do is file two flats on the edge of the head in line with one of the slots so that the bolt slides into the slot in the framework. They are not expensive and readily available.
Regards,
Frank Gibson.
I have just moved my Crittall greenhouse and damaged or lost some of the special Crittall bolts. You will find quite a lot of these bolts can be replaced with ordinary Halls type or even galvanised bolts and nuts from an ironmongers as the head does not run in the channell. That should leave plenty of the Crittall ones to fit the channels which should do all you need.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lund View Post
I have just moved my Crittall greenhouse and damaged or lost some of the special Crittall bolts. You will find quite a lot of these bolts can be replaced with ordinary Halls type or even galvanised bolts and nuts from an ironmongers as the head does not run in the channell. That should leave plenty of the Crittall ones to fit the channels which should do all you need.
Beware using steel or brass nuts and bolts on aluminium, these metals can set up localised electrical "galvanic" circuits that will quickly eat away at your ali and also ali does not like rust from steel when the galvanising breaks down. Much better to use stainless steel fixings that can be filed down in the same way.
Old 17-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Red face

Found a company that does the bolts and also the stainless steel clips for holding the glass in to the glaising bars.

At £3.65 for 25 bolts its probably cheaper than making them with a file :-)

barshttp://www.dovetailgreenhouses.co.uk/greenhouse_options/greenhouse_sundries.htm

The glass clips are on another page.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered User

There are plenty of these bolts on ebay as well.