Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default another tomato question

My healthy looking greenhouse tomato's are only about 12" high but trusses
are beginning to form. Is that a bit early, should I remove them and let
the plants grow taller, never had that happen before usually much taller

kate

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My healthy looking greenhouse tomato's are only about 12" high but

trusses
are beginning to form. Is that a bit early, should I remove them and

let
the plants grow taller, never had that happen before usually much

taller

kate

It appears that you have well ballanced compact plants rather than the
undesirable leggy ones. I certainly would not remove any flowers.
Hopefully you can maintain a suitable temperaure if we get a really cold
spell and then the fruits will set and the plants will be ready for
their first feed.

I used to pollinate my tomatoes by lightly dabbing the open flowers with
'teased out' cotton wool which I trapped in a split at the end of a very
thin cane. Pollen staining on the wool will indicate that pollen has
been distributed.

I wish you well.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.