Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

Default Viburnum tinus disease update.

Further to my recent scare with a V. tinus which I was worried that it was infected
with Phytophthora ramorum, the nursery has just got back to me and let me know that
defra have identified it as
"Askatia Viburnii " (sic). I think what the nursery mean is Ascochyta viburni. This
can be treated with any fungicide.

I think I'd like to try to save the poor thing if possible, so the question is if I
do go ahead and treat, should I prune back to what seems to be healthy growth or
leave it well alone and just spray? The main reason for pruning would be to tidy up
a very sad looking plant and stimulate some new growth. I assume it is best to wait
until I've treated it in case the pruning opens up new areas for further infection to
get a hold.
Can anyone recommend a suitable fungicide to treat Ascochyta viburni? I'm looking
for the least "harmful" approach and as close to organic as possible. Would a
copper-based treatment work?
As a post-script to this, the nursery have already refunded me which really is
refreshing these days.

Liz