Old 05-04-2003, 07:20 PM
John Martin

Default Viburnum tinus disease (again) - sorry!

I posted recently about Viburnum tinus hedging plants that had become wilted
and pathetic looking.

Someone suggested Vine Weevil. I pulled up a couple of plants, didn't find
any larvae but did discover some eggs(? - white, 2 or 3 mm, look a bit like
perlite (but not!)). I treated the plants with Bio Provado but some plants
have got worse and are now brown and crispy. I dug these up this afternoon
and as well as finding more 'perlite-type eggs' there were tiny
turquoise-blue specs/eggs (about 0.5 -1 mm) attached to the roots. Any
ideas?

I put some eggs in a jam jar to see what emerges!

Other plants in the hedge are fine - bushy and flowering! I just don't want
them to become brown and crispy as well.

tvm - John

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"John Martin" wrote in message
I posted recently about Viburnum tinus hedging plants that had become

wilted
and pathetic looking.

Someone suggested Vine Weevil. I pulled up a couple of plants, didn't find
any larvae but did discover some eggs(? - white, 2 or 3 mm, look a bit

like
perlite (but not!)).

Spherical? Cream coloured? distributed individually through the compost?

Fear not! It is Slow release fertilizer!

pk

Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 PM
John Martin

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

Spherical? Cream coloured? distributed individually through the compost?

Fear not! It is Slow release fertilizer!

No - I know what they look like! The 'eggs' are slightly ovoid.

It's actually the blue 'eggs' that I really can't fathom...

Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:07:50 +0100, "John Martin"
wrote:

I posted recently about Viburnum tinus hedging plants that had become wilted
and pathetic looking.

I think I read in The Garden (RHS mag) that there is a new pest in
this country attacking viburnums. Gave mag to a friend so cannot
check.

Pam in Bristol
pamdotmooreatvirgindotnet
Old 05-04-2003, 10:44 PM
jane

wrote:
~
~I posted recently about Viburnum tinus hedging plants that had become wilted
~and pathetic looking.
~I think I read in The Garden (RHS mag) that there is a new pest in
~this country attacking viburnums. Gave mag to a friend so cannot
~check.
~
Thye did have an article in Dec 2002 about the new types of vine weevil in
the UK being particular to V. tinus.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/publications/p.../newspests.asp

But I can't remember what those five new pests are that they've announced
more recently :-( apart from one's a horse chestnut pest.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!