Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This evenings Gardeners World

I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?
--
Robert
Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Robert
wrote:

I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

ISTR it was water which had been boiled with garlic and allowed to cool.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote ...
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

ISTR it was water which had been boiled with garlic and allowed to cool.

Didn't he say he crushed the garlic first?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Stan The Man" wrote ...
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

ISTR it was water which had been boiled with garlic and allowed to cool.

Didn't he say he crushed the garlic first?

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I don't think he mentioned crushed garlic.
The method works on the basis that the slug reproduction ceases due to lack
of sex with garlic breathed partners, but if the slugs or snails are of
French origin then............

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Stan The Man" wrote ...
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

ISTR it was water which had been boiled with garlic and allowed to cool.

Didn't he say he crushed the garlic first?

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I don't think he mentioned crushed garlic.
The method works on the basis that the slug reproduction ceases due to
lack of sex with garlic breathed partners, but if the slugs or snails are
of French origin then............

Harvest them and boil in Garlic water for 15 mins.
Remove from shells and add copious grated fresh Garlic bulb in butter and
devour.

;-)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Stan The Man" wrote ...
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

ISTR it was water which had been boiled with garlic and allowed to
cool.

Didn't he say he crushed the garlic first?

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I don't think he mentioned crushed garlic.
The method works on the basis that the slug reproduction ceases due to
lack of sex with garlic breathed partners, but if the slugs or snails
are of French origin then............

Seems to me to make sense that it would better to slightly crush (as
opposed to mash) the garlic in order to get a more potent fusion with
the water. Might be wise to strain before use though.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 May, 21:10, Robert wrote:
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

Missed the whole thing - got sidetracked with the dvd of Marie
Antoinette. Fantastic.

My nettle potion is almost ready - another week (3 weeks). I've used
this for years. I do a gallon in the spring when the nettle is green
and young and it last me till July. After that I don't need to spray
anymore. I use it on everything. This is for home. At the lotty I do a
comfrey one. Never heard of slugs/snails not liking garlic ....?!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 May, 07:39, "R" wrote:
Harvest them and boil in Garlic water for 15 mins.
Remove from shells and add copious grated fresh Garlic bulb in butter and
devour.

Mon Dieu!!! You forgot the parsley!!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert asked:
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

---
I thought Monty said 'it' was CLOVES, not garlic. Boil a few up in
water and allow to cool. Good to see Rachel back, if only for that
edition of GW.

MikeCT

Old 13-05-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

MikeCT wrote:

Robert asked:
I turned the TV on just in tine to catch Monty (standing behind some
hostas) say ...and spray it on the leaves and it will deter even the
most ardent(?) slugs. Does anyone recall what 'it' was?

I thought Monty said 'it' was CLOVES, not garlic. Boil a few up in
water and allow to cool. Good to see Rachel back, if only for that
edition of GW.

Unless I've lost the plot completely, it was cloves *OF* garlic he was
talking about.

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"