Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Walk around my plot

Just took a few photos this morning while the ground was too wet for
any gardening - I want to dig the last of the new deep beds I've been
preparing. Photos at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rodsgarden/Rod's%20plot01/page1.htm

No captions, they are mostly self explanatory. The big cage is a
legacy from when shoots were held on the Estate and pheasants were
reared just over the wall.

I cultivated this plot for 31 years as part of my work, running this
25 acre private garden but now I've retired the new head gardener is
scaling down the veg for the Hall so I've 'inherited' one of the
three veg plots. There were already 2 old deep beds and I'm converting
the rest of the plot so there will be 8 deep beds in all about 47 feet
long and 4 feet wide.

As you can see my wife and I are fond of veg ;-) and I'm enjoying
playing at seeing what the results can be with all the constraints
off.
To make things more interesting to yer average amateur I'm doing
without using any of the available greenhouse facilities.Anything
started indoors has been done on the window sill in my workshop and as
I said in an earlier post I've been experimenting with hardening off
the 'nearly hardy' or early season veg when the seedlings are barely
showing in the plugs. Peas are started in short lengths of plastic
guttering to avoid mouse damage and to give earlier cropping of the
early variety - rows across the bed. Some of the photos show the
succession given by making sowings at 2-3 week intervals. Onions are
heat treated 'Red Baron'. I've made room for some flowers for cutting,
especially border carnations and pinks which I haven't grown much
before and sweet peas that I've never had time to grow properly before.