Old 21-05-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default clematis under silver birch?

I have a four foot metal wigwam just six foot to the west side of a
silver birch so it has dappled shade in the morning only.
What sort of climber, possibly clematis would not overpower the wigwam?
Or would it being so near to the silver birch mean that I wouldn't get
very good growth on any clematis and so should plant a vigorous one?
I love scented plants but haven't got many clematis in the garden so
wouldn't mind considering one or two.

The soil is alkaline (ish), flinty and clay (ish) though I have put
lots of organic stuff into the bed.
It's my 'blue' bed so would prefer colour to be blue to pink range or
even white.

Any ideas?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-05-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have a four foot metal wigwam just six foot to the west side of a
silver birch so it has dappled shade in the morning only.
What sort of climber, possibly clematis would not overpower the wigwam?
Or would it being so near to the silver birch mean that I wouldn't get
very good growth on any clematis and so should plant a vigorous one?
I love scented plants but haven't got many clematis in the garden so
wouldn't mind considering one or two.

The soil is alkaline (ish), flinty and clay (ish) though I have put
lots of organic stuff into the bed.
It's my 'blue' bed so would prefer colour to be blue to pink range or
even white.

Any ideas?
--
Janet Tweedy