Old 03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Default Various plant probs - can you help ?

Guys,

Please go easy on me as i'm a newbie on here but am after some of the undoubted excellent plant knowledge here to help me out.

Here are the issues (i'm not sure how the pics will upload but some are obvious):-

1) Clemetis - when can I expect this to flower ?...growing like mad but no flowers
2) Blue plant - only had it a couple of weeks but it seems to be dying...any ideas on how to revive it ?
3) Outdoor Plant - Had this a year now and most of the leaves have gone brown...is it dying ?...should have those red bottle cleaner like flowers...can it be saved ?
4) White flower plant - is this a weed ?
5) Indoor plant - growing well but leaves have bad brown patches and it's not looking too healthy...w.hy is this and what can I do ?

TIA,
Mike.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Hoping some pics are attached this time...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
Hoping some pics are attached this time...
I've given up on the attachments - here are some links instead :-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...DSC_0286-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...DSC_0288-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...DSC_0285-2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...DSC_0284-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...C_0287-1-1.jpg
Old 04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Anybody help ?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
Anybody help ?
Anyone know of a UK gardening forum where people actually post helpful replies to posters questions ?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
Anyone know of a UK gardening forum where people actually post helpful replies to posters questions ?
Any gardeners out there ?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
Any gardeners out there ?
1. Clematis have many different species and varieties with different flowering habits and different pruning requirements. If bought from a reputable supplier, it should have a label telling you what it is called, and what pruning regime to follow. Good idea to keep the label. Usually require about 3 years in the ground before they flower very much. If it is the kind that flowers on this year's growth, it will flower in late summer. If it is the kind that flowers on old wood, it will flower next year. If it is the kind that does both, it will do both. And there are many other kinds.

3. It's a Callistemon, which come in many different species and varieties. If bought from a reputable supplier, it should have a label telling you what it is. Good idea to keep the label. Looks like frost damage to me, though it could be too much/too little water. The different varieties have different frost hardiness, less reputable suppliers fail to point out that many are pretty marginal here. Where I live, we had some fairly harsh frosts in March, and it is precisely those late frosts that do the greatest damage. Best to protect with fleece at this time if it is one of the less hardy types. It will replace those dead leaves, but will have been set back by the damage. If you don't want the bother of protection, choose a hardier variety like Callistemon subulatus (which yours definitely isn't, 'cos C subulatus has narrow leaves). Despite being Australian, they do need plenty of water, naturally growing in areas with a good water supply. Given the weather this year, I doubt it is drought that is the problem, though it could be drowning if it is waterlogged.

5. It's called garlic mustard and is a wild plant, or weed if you like. The leaves can be used sparingly in salads when they are new.

2 and 4. Could be all sorts of things. If bought from a reputable supplier, it should have a label telling you what it is and how to look after it. Good idea to keep the label. Houseplants have individual requirements and many potential problems. Definition of houseplant - a dying plant whose certain death you are trying to delay. If you are interested in growing them, it is worth having a fat book or two about them. That will tell you how to look after each kind in much more detail than the label, and address the many kinds of problems they can have.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered User

Brilliant - what a helpfull and informative post. Thank you very much.

Mike.

ps I agree about the frost - I live in Yorkshire and we had a couple of bad ones last winter....i'd say it's marginal whether the plant will recover but i'll persist with it.

pps I cut the clematis right back to a stump almost this year on advice - it has come back very well but no flowers as yet. Hopefully later in the summers as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post

Old 16-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered User

It's a Callistemon, which appear in abounding altered breed and varieties. If bought from a acclaimed supplier, it should accept a characterization cogent you what it is. Good abstraction to accumulate the label. Looks like frost accident to me, admitting it could be too much/too little water. The altered varieties accept altered frost hardiness, beneath acclaimed suppliers abort to point out that abounding are appealing bordering here.
lights grow

Neighbour Probs - Gardening Related Martin United Kingdom 10 07-10-2003 10:49 PM
Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM
Capsicum & Chilli Probs FASTEDDY Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Tree probs caused by Ivy Mike United Kingdom 8 02-03-2003 07:59 AM
Herbs in pots - any probs? Paul England United Kingdom 4 12-11-2002 10:54 AM