Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden helper?

Black Labradors are so helpful - mine just brought me a plant label. He
looked really pleased with himself. On investigation he has pulled out and
scattered most of the plant labels from my seed trays and small pots :-(

Unfortunately this isn't the first time he's been so helpful. My wife
recently potted on at least 100 mystery plants from one seed tray with a
missing plant label. We "think" they may be Virginia creepers or Chinese
lanterns. I'm hoping for the latter, but frankly I've planted so many seeds
donated by our neighbour and elsewhere they could be absolutely anything.
I'd laugh if they turned out to be 100 carefully nurtured weeds.

David.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:44:50 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Black Labradors are so helpful - mine just brought me a plant label. He
looked really pleased with himself. On investigation he has pulled out and
scattered most of the plant labels from my seed trays and small pots :-(

Unfortunately this isn't the first time he's been so helpful. My wife
recently potted on at least 100 mystery plants from one seed tray with a
missing plant label. We "think" they may be Virginia creepers or Chinese
lanterns. I'm hoping for the latter, but frankly I've planted so many seeds
donated by our neighbour and elsewhere they could be absolutely anything.
I'd laugh if they turned out to be 100 carefully nurtured weeds.

I feel for you!
On GQT a couple of years ago, Pippa Greenwood told a tale of her
children helping her in the garden. She planted several rows of
potatoes, and carefully marked each row. While busy with something
else, her small daughter came up to her with a bunch of labels and
offered them up looking very pleased with herself.

Perhaps you can photograph any unidentified seedlings and post them
here to be identified.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Perhaps you can photograph any unidentified seedlings and post them
here to be identified.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam. The link is to a photo of one of the potted on seed trays.
Please tell me they aren't Virginia creepers! I planted lots of ripe seeds
in Autumn and there are far too many here to do anything with. On the other
hand we got some cut Chinese lanterns off the market and I planted all the
seeds from those. These are the two likeliest candidates, but there are
other
possibilities!

Photo at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5435a.jpg