Old 16-06-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden fork

Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 16-06-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap fork, that's what you get.
Personally I have a succession of cheap ones, because I leave it in the shed
on the allotment, and therefore gets nicked. A cheap fork hurts less to get
nicked.

If you want a strong, long lasting one, try for a name you've heard of, like
for instance Spear and Jackson.

Steve

Old 16-06-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:23:37 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

You get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap fork, that's what you get.
Personally I have a succession of cheap ones, because I leave it in the shed
on the allotment, and therefore gets nicked. A cheap fork hurts less to get
nicked.

If you want a strong, long lasting one, try for a name you've heard of, like
for instance Spear and Jackson.

One of the four that have broken was actually a Spear and Jackson,
whilst the one from B&Q cost £20. Not what I would call cheap and
cheerful (well, not when it was sitting next to ones costing £5). The
one from Asda ... yes, most definitely cheap and very, very nasty ;-)
Old 16-06-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

ah the bi-annual post about forks................do a search of this group
for more info

Old 16-06-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a fork made by Bulldog Tools with a wooden shaft/handle - had it for
years and though I haven't really used it regularly it's never given any
sign of failure when used to turn over very heavy soil.

Old 16-06-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would have returned them for a refund!

Old 16-06-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:05:51 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I would have returned them for a refund!

Have done :-)
Old 16-06-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'.

I bought a fork and spade from B&Q a few years ago, both stainless steel and
both are sturdy tools, no bending at all despite some very heavy work. Can't
remember how much they were but they weren't at the bottom end of the price
range.

David.

Old 16-06-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Howard Haigh" wrote after

Janner wrote ...
[...]

I too have the Bulldog spade and fork which are British forged (Stainless
Steel) and top quality but they don't make the SS ones anymore, got too
expensive, don't know what their range is like now, probably make in China.
Anyway, if you want quality tools look for "Forged" steel tools.
Another fork I have used for some years on heavy clay/silt on the allotments
is made by Spear and Jackson, is British made forged steel (not SS), has a
wooden shaft with a plastic shock absorbing handle. Nothing has bent or
broken despite hard use.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-06-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

My favourite fork (and spade) were bought from a car boot sale for a couple
of quid about 8 years ago. No name on them but they have both withstood a
load of use and abuse.

Mike

Old 16-06-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

shazzbat writes

Janner wrote in message ...
[...]

My Spear and Jackson lost a tine within the first few years of use.
--
Kay

Old 17-06-2007, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janner wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a garden fork that won't bend or snap the first
time you point it at anything larger than a dandelion?

Over the past few weeks I have gone through 4 different forks,
including one from B&Q that claimed to be 'heavy duty'. The worst was
one that I got from Asda, where all four prongs bent within a matter
of seconds of touching the soil ... I had put NO pressure on the fork
at all! A couple others came from local garden centres, and in each
case the shaft snapped (albeit doing some work this time).

I don't think I am being too tough on them (certainly not the Asda
one!). Surely I can expect a fork to withstand some use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I bought a cheap wickes one years ago which bent when I tried turning over
hard ground os I straightened it and welded some 50 X 6 flat along the top.
Never a problem since.
My blog:
http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shiptodruid