Old 19-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Fork Sharpening

Hi,

I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the soil =
easily. Recently I bought a new one but the points are not sharp =
pointed ones but blade like. They are not good at digging. I tried to =
sharpen them but due to temper, they are quite hard to sharpen.

Do you think with use they would wear and sharpen themselves?

Rajinder

Old 19-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Rod

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the soil easily. Recently I bought a new one but
the points are not sharp pointed ones but blade like. They are not good at digging. I tried to sharpen them but
due to temper, they are quite hard to sharpen.

Do you think with use they would wear and sharpen themselves?

They do. Just watch those old forks - my son-in-law stuck one through his foot! Luckily he wasn't too badly hurt.
Unluckily he's a solicitor but this was his own fault - nobody to sue ;~(((

Rod

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the soil
easily. Recently I bought a new one but the points are not sharp
pointed ones but blade like. They are not good at digging. I tried to
sharpen them but due to temper, they are quite hard to sharpen.

Do you think with use they would wear and sharpen themselves?

Hi Rajinder
No, if you can't sharpen them then they won't wear very quickly.
You've been the victim of low-cost manufacture. The best solution is
to use an angle grinder, with care not to overheat and draw the temper
of the tines. An engineering shop might help
Old 19-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Registered User

Location: england

[quote]Originally posted by Robert E A Harvey
[b]"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message ...[color=blue]
Hi,

I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the soil
easily. Recently I bought a new one but the points are not sharp
pointed ones but blade like. They are not good at digging. I tried to

.....Raj..It could be that what you have is a potato fork, and not a digging tool....Regards Ken
Old 19-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Rod" contains these words:

Do you think with use they would wear and sharpen themselves?

They do. Just watch those old forks - my son-in-law stuck one through
his foot! Luckily he wasn't too badly hurt.
Unluckily he's a solicitor but this was his own fault - nobody to sue ;~(((

I bet that hurt him more than the injury!

A friend of mine was splitting logs with my seven pound axe, and the log
he was aiming at toppled at the last moment and the axe glanced off and
sliced into his wellie. (This was before the days when steel toecaps
were easily available.)

He waited for the pain and the blood. Nothing. Carefully, he removed the
blade, removed the boot and took off the sock.

I keep my axes very sharp. His boot was toecapically challenged. His
sock was neatly sliced - between the big toe and the next one. Not a
scratch on him.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 19-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

nICE STORY TO LAUGH AT.

rAJINDER

"Rod" wrote in message =
=20
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in =

message
Hi,
=20
I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the =

soil easily. Recently I bought a new one but
the points are not sharp pointed ones but blade like. They are not =

good at digging. I tried to sharpen them but
due to temper, they are quite hard to sharpen.
=20
Do you think with use they would wear and sharpen themselves?
=20
They do. Just watch those old forks - my son-in-law stuck one through =

his foot! Luckily he wasn't too badly hurt.
Unluckily he's a solicitor but this was his own fault - nobody to sue =

;~(((
=20
Rod
=20

Old 20-10-2003, 08:22 AM
David Hill

I have been watching this thread with interest, just waiting for someone to
say that you bought the wrong sort of fork.
It sounds to me as if you bought a broad bladed fork, the sort that used to
be used for lifting potatoes, these have wider tines than the ordinary fork.
I have been looking for one of these locally, but no sign of one.
I just wonder why you didn't look at the tines(prongs) when you were buying
it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Rod

ken saunders wrote:[color=blue]
Robert E A Harvey wrote:

[b]"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote
in message

Hi,

I used to have an old fork which has sharp points and digs into the

soil

easily. Recently I bought a new one but the points are not sharp
pointed ones but blade like. They are not good at digging. I

tried to

.....Raj..It could be that what you have is a potato fork, and not a
digging tool....Regards Ken

--
ken saunders

The tines of a spud fork are wide and flat but they are still quite
sharp - at least on mine they are.

Rod

Old 23-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from (Robert E A Harvey) contains these words:

Hi Rajinder
No, if you can't sharpen them then they won't wear very quickly.
You've been the victim of low-cost manufacture. The best solution is
to use an angle grinder, with care not to overheat and draw the temper
of the tines. An engineering shop might help

Wrong way round, rRobert - you temper steel by making it softer.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Tempering reduces hardness but increases ductility and toughness.

Toughness up to a point - the point being reached at around dark blue,
after which it becomes more ductile, but a bend in its structure will
break some of the grain, leading to eventual fatigue failure.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Sharpening seceteurs Mark Allison United Kingdom 9 17-05-2004 06:18 PM
Sharpening spades DLee United Kingdom 16 13-10-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Sharpening tools Carl L Rosner Bonsai 6 24-09-2003 08:14 PM
[IBC] Sharpening tools Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 24-09-2003 12:15 AM
Do the blades need sharpening? Bob H United Kingdom 3 10-07-2003 10:46 PM