Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Friend or foe?

I saw the most lovely sight as I drove home this afternoon. Coming up the
lane towards me was a young deer, galloping along because another car was
behind it. I stopped and just as it got to me, it hopped over the hedge and
into a field where it started grazing some weeds. I got out of the car and
stood watching it for a good 15 minutes until it disappeared from sight.
Magic! The foe bit is if it or its friends decide to graze the garden or
nursery. ;-( Apparently they've wreaked havoc just a couple of hundreds
yards away.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 6, 5:50 pm, Sacha wrote:

I think we'll have to borrow the crow scarers *and* let the dogs out really
early!
--

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just give them my address in Norfolk.

Judith

Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/7/07 21:32, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jul 6, 5:50 pm, Sacha wrote:

I think we'll have to borrow the crow scarers *and* let the dogs out really
early!
--

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just give them my address in Norfolk.

Judith

For you, I'll hire a horsebox to transport them!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I saw the most lovely sight as I drove home this afternoon. Coming up the
lane towards me was a young deer, galloping along because another car was
behind it. I stopped and just as it got to me, it hopped over the hedge and
into a field where it started grazing some weeds. I got out of the car and
stood watching it for a good 15 minutes until it disappeared from sight.
Magic! The foe bit is if it or its friends decide to graze the garden or
nursery. ;-( Apparently they've wreaked havoc just a couple of hundreds
yards away.

Depends how much you like venison ;-)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Jackson writes:
| The message from Jennifer Sparkes contains these
| words:
|
| On two counts as you say grazing this they have a problem with that
| on their veg plot and Lyme Disease.
|
| Is it the _possibility_ of Lyme Disease, or the _diagnosis_ that's a problem,
| Jennifer?

I think that my courgettes have Lyme disease. Am I a cuckoo?

I spent 7 nights out in the Highlands, but the chances of getting Lyme
disease were probably less than being killed in a RTA crossing Glasgow
or dying of a heart attack in the same period. Stop panicking! Yes,
I took a bit of care.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire UK

Hi
We have seen deer in the garden today - dogs make no difference! The deer like to be close to us, & sleep in the garden, but we rarely see them. They particularly like to eat our roses, Euonymus and asparagus. I think that only a properly constructed deer fence will keep them out. Expensive, but the only way to save the roses. We live and let live, as far as the deer are concerned!

TopVeg
__________________
TopVeg
www.topveg.com
Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello fellow gardeners! This is my semi-annual visit to your group :-)

Where I live in upstate New York USA, we have an over-population of
deer. Plenty of accidents involving cars hitting deer and one of my
least favorite things to have to see are dead deer on the side of the
road.

I have a few that visit my gardens (have a photo or two of deer on my
garden webpages) This past winter they cut back my large rhododendrons
and I wasn't too thrilled but I'm happy to say they all grew back and
had blooms. During spring, summer and fall, I use a product called
Hinder. You put a few drops in a spray bottle of water and spray your
flowers and shrubs and the deer do not munch! I've been using Hinder for
over ten years and would not have ANY flowers if I didn 't use it every
couple weeks.

Denise

Tour of my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/07 02:19, in article ,
"Denise" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Denise. I'm going to pass that on to an American friend, also in
upstate NY who has deer eating her roses. She made me laugh by telling me
that she might as well take Bambi to the local garden centre and let him
pick out his favourite rose bushes!
I am immensely impressed with your house and garden transformation. What a
fantastic job.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the kind words, Sacha :-)

Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 2:19 am, (Denise) wrote:
Hello fellow gardeners! This is my semi-annual visit to your group :-)

Denise, what a wonderful site, thank you for sharing it. Thank God
you survived that dreadful crash, you had someone on your shoulder
that day.

I loved what you have done to your home and gardens, they matured as
you did, beautifully.

Post again, wont you? in six months time?

Judith

Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/07 21:10, in article
, "Denise"
wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, Sacha :-)

You're very welcome. I hope to see more pics in a year or so. It's always
good to see what others do to their house and garden because it gives
inspiration and prods imagination!