Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum disease / pest advice.

Hi,
I planted a plum tree in my garden last year and it has been doing
remarkably well. There is plenty of fruit on it this year,
unfotunately, I noticed some nasty growth on one of the plums.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/28/plumya6.jpg

I'm a complete plum novice so any info regarding the disease / pest
and possible cure would be most appreciated !

Thanks !
Uncle C

Sunny High Wycombe.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul, 19:56, Uncle-C wrote:
Hi,
I planted a plum tree in my garden last year and it has been doing
remarkably well. There is plenty of fruit on it this year,
unfotunately, I noticed some nasty growth on one of the plums.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/28/plumya6.jpg
I'm a complete plum novice so any info regarding the disease / pest
and possible cure would be most appreciated !

Plum Sawfly Uncle - yurk. If your fruits fall before rippening, that's
it. This is the treatment I've read :- "Break the pest's lifecycle at
two points. First, in late winter and early Spring, gently loosen and
turn the soil around the base of the tree with a trowel or hoe. This
will expose the over-wintering pupae to birds who love to eat them.

The second action is to spray the tree with derris (available at most
garden centres) as soon as possible when roughly half the flower
petals have fallen.

If the above action is taken, next year it should not be necessary to
spray again."

We had 3 plum trees in our old allotment - we were however blessed
with no disease. The only problem was that a barsteward was getting to
get them before us. That and the pears. I later found out that they
were turned into liquors. You'd think they'd leave me a bottle or
three.... We don't grow them anymore for lack of space and also the
dropped fruits attracted too many wasps, and the kids complained. A
lot.

Ps. You can get derris on the organic catalogue below.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...roducts_id=525

Old 07-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul, 20:32, La Puce wrote:
On 7 Jul, 19:56, Uncle-C wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot La Puce ! It sounds as if there is not much I can do to
this year's crop except pick off any affected fruit and dispose of it.
I hope that it is not too bad a case as I was really looking forward
to homemade peach and plum chutney !

Uncle

Old 08-07-2007, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul, 21:50, Uncle-C wrote:
Thanks a lot La Puce ! It sounds as if there is not much I can do to
this year's crop except pick off any affected fruit and dispose of it.
I hope that it is not too bad a case as I was really looking forward
to homemade peach and plum chutney !

Chutney, CHUTNEY!!! Eau de vie, Uncle, that's what you do with the
plums ;o)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle-C wrote:
Ps. You can get derris on the organic catalogue below.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...roducts_id=525

Thanks a lot La Puce ! It sounds as if there is not much I can do to
this year's crop except pick off any affected fruit and dispose of it.
I hope that it is not too bad a case as I was really looking forward
to homemade peach and plum chutney !

Uncle

Or.... Wrap duct tape or similar sticky nastiness (i've used axle grease
in the past....) around the trunk. low down, sticky side up. This stops the
crawlers climbing the trunk...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA