Old 17-07-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default planting berries from a yew

i read in newsgroup that you can propogate yew trees by 'layering' shoots
under the soil. the other day in a park i saw some red berries on a yew.
could i pick those and plant them? should i wait for them to drop to the
ground first? thanks.

Old 17-07-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood ............." wrote in message
i read in newsgroup that you can propogate yew trees by 'layering' shoots
under the soil. the other day in a park i saw some red berries on a yew.
could i pick those and plant them? should i wait for them to drop to the
ground first? thanks.

I did that once. While walking around Chatsworth house park I noticed some
nice ripe yew berries within reach on a branch, so "confiscated" a few. I
squished the berries in my hands and washed all the pulp away leaving the
pips - I don't know if it was necessary to do this or not but I had great
success. Then planted the pips in some plant pots in a mixture of garden
soil and sharp sand and forgot about them. At some time later there were
lots of little yew trees, I pricked them out and potted them on individually
and finally set them out and made a little hedge with them. That was a few
years ago now and we've since moved house. Initially, as seedlings they grew
quite slowly, but once established in the ground they put on around 6 - 8
inches growth a year.

David.

Old 17-07-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. net...

"johngood ............." wrote in message
i read in newsgroup that you can propogate yew trees by 'layering' shoots
under the soil. the other day in a park i saw some red berries on a
yew. could i pick those and plant them? should i wait for them to drop
to the ground first? thanks.

I did that once. While walking around Chatsworth house park I noticed
some nice ripe yew berries within reach on a branch, so "confiscated"

Stole.

Mary

Yes, alright then :-( Though I doubt it qualifies as the crime of the
century.

I wonder how many gardeners nip off little bits of cuttings or seeds when
walking around parks?

My favourite "acquisition" was around 12 years ago. A few seeds from a ripe
split seed pod on a bronze phormium growing on a public tropical flower bed
in St Ives, Cornwall. Someone saw me getting the seeds and said "You'll
never get them to germinate" but he was wrong. There must have been 50 or
more seedlings come up. Unfortunately they all damped off with the exception
of two. One of those is now an 8 foot high monster at our old house. Lovely
looking plant.

David.

Old 18-07-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David
you did the right thing removing the red flesh from the seed, it
inhibits the germination. So was the seeds. Tend to but them in a
jar and let them ferment - easy to remove the clean seed afterwards.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Old 18-07-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote

Stole.
Mary

Yes, alright then :-( Though I doubt it qualifies as the crime of the
century.
I wonder how many gardeners nip off little bits of cuttings or seeds when
walking around parks?
David.

snipped

I think taking a few seeds is OK if you leave enough for natural
reproduction.
But cuttings are a no no. Imagine if we all did that - parks and gardens
would become decimated!
Jenny (who had to remand her Mum several times about this!)

Old 18-07-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote

Stole.
Mary

Yes, alright then :-( Though I doubt it qualifies as the crime of the
century.
I wonder how many gardeners nip off little bits of cuttings or seeds when
walking around parks?
David.

snipped

I think taking a few seeds is OK if you leave enough for natural
reproduction.
But cuttings are a no no. Imagine if we all did that - parks and gardens
would become decimated!
Jenny (who had to remand her Mum several times about this!)

Jenny: I hope you meant "remind" not "remand" as in "custody" ;-) Are you a
police woman?

The cuttings thing isn't a habit (honest!), but I've been known to remove
the odd 6" piece from mature shrubs in car parks. I don't feel too guilty
about that because the maintenance people subsequently come along with hedge
cutters and trim them back hard. I can't help but think at the time about
the thousands of cuttings they are wasting :-(

What does annoy me is seeing people picking or digging up wild flowers such
as bluebells and cowslips.

David.

Old 18-07-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:51:41 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I think taking a few seeds is OK if you leave enough for natural
reproduction.
But cuttings are a no no. Imagine if we all did that - parks and gardens
would become decimated!
Jenny (who had to remand her Mum several times about this!)

Jenny: I hope you meant "remind" not "remand" as in "custody" ;-) Are you a
police woman?

Or even 'reprimand'

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 19-07-2007, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"David (Normandy)" wrote

Stole.
Mary

Yes, alright then :-( Though I doubt it qualifies as the crime of the
century.
I wonder how many gardeners nip off little bits of cuttings or seeds
when walking around parks?
David.

snipped

I think taking a few seeds is OK if you leave enough for natural
reproduction.
But cuttings are a no no. Imagine if we all did that - parks and gardens
would become decimated!
Jenny (who had to remand her Mum several times about this!)

Jenny: I hope you meant "remind" not "remand" as in "custody" ;-)

Oooppps - I meant reprimand !!

Are you a police woman?

Actually yes !! Wells ort of - I have an IT job with the Dutch Police :~))

The cuttings thing isn't a habit (honest!), but I've been known to remove
the odd 6" piece from mature shrubs in car parks. I don't feel too guilty
about that because the maintenance people subsequently come along with
hedge cutters and trim them back hard. I can't help but think at the time
about the thousands of cuttings they are wasting :-(

Oh - car parks !! Thats OK, so are council verges and gardens of delelict
properties :~)

What does annoy me is seeing people picking or digging up wild flowers
such as bluebells and cowslips.
David.

Agreed.
Jenny

Best berries for mass wall planting Steve B[_5_] Edible Gardening 5 26-04-2010 01:26 AM
Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Juniper or Yew Berries - What Do They Need to Germinate? Frogleg Gardening 0 27-09-2004 02:14 PM
yew bonsai Peter K. Bonsai 0 13-10-2003 01:11 PM
Yew Trees Bush United Kingdom 12 30-09-2002 08:16 AM