Old 19-07-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'Climbing' Pelargonium

Someone posted asking about a climbing, ivy leaf pel. I said I'd ask about
the one I know in Jersey. Nobody knows the name of it. Apparently it was a
present to my ex mil and 'came in a basket'. If we manage to propagate it
and can't get an ID I think Pelargonium Basketcase has a certain ring to it.
;-) Certainly, it seems to be a bit confused about what it should be doing.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2007, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:31:21 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Someone posted asking about a climbing, ivy leaf pel. I said I'd ask about
the one I know in Jersey. Nobody knows the name of it. Apparently it was a
present to my ex mil and 'came in a basket'. If we manage to propagate it
and can't get an ID I think Pelargonium Basketcase has a certain ring to it.
;-) Certainly, it seems to be a bit confused about what it should be doing.

I asked.

But I don't think you'll get many customers with a name like that!
Isn't there an equivalent in French? It would sound much more exotic!

--
Chris

Old 21-07-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Someone posted asking about a climbing, ivy leaf pel. I said I'd ask about
the one I know in Jersey. Nobody knows the name of it. Apparently it was a
present to my ex mil and 'came in a basket'. If we manage to propagate it
and can't get an ID I think Pelargonium Basketcase has a certain ring to it.
;-) Certainly, it seems to be a bit confused about what it should be doing.

I asked.

But I don't think you'll get many customers with a name like that!
Isn't there an equivalent in French? It would sound much more exotic!

Panier de pain lacks glamour, I think. ;-) We'll try to get it identified
but it could be difficult. It's been in that particular spot at least 15
years. I think somewhere on this computer I've got a photo of it but all my
photos seem to have waltzed off to somewhere else, unexpectedly. I'll do a
hunt and if I can find it and you trust me with your email address, I'll
send you a pic. It's quite remarkable to see and it does look terrific
against the white wall of the house, going up to just under a bedroom window
sill.

Old 21-07-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:58:14 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I look forward to it. E-mail address in sig.

--
Chris

Old 21-07-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/07 18:49, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:58:14 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 21/7/07 08:33, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

I can't retrieve my photo without help so I've asked my son for another pic
of that particular plant. My husband doesn't think there's anything
remarkable about the Pelargonium itself, it's just the location he thinks.

Old 25-07-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Someone posted asking about a climbing, ivy leaf pel. I said I'd ask about
the one I know in Jersey. Nobody knows the name of it. Apparently it was a
present to my ex mil and 'came in a basket'. If we manage to propagate it
and can't get an ID I think Pelargonium Basketcase has a certain ring to it.
;-) Certainly, it seems to be a bit confused about what it should be doing.

Dunno what "climbing" means in this context - but in the greenhouses at
Temple Newsome House in Leeds (yorks) pelargoniums have been grown up the
rear walls for years. Some of them are 10 feet high with very large
spread. Is that what you mean by "climbing"?
Old 25-07-2007, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/07 23:14, in article , "Jim
Jackson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Someone posted asking about a climbing, ivy leaf pel. I said I'd ask about
the one I know in Jersey. Nobody knows the name of it. Apparently it was a
present to my ex mil and 'came in a basket'. If we manage to propagate it
and can't get an ID I think Pelargonium Basketcase has a certain ring to it.
;-) Certainly, it seems to be a bit confused about what it should be doing.

Dunno what "climbing" means in this context - but in the greenhouses at
Temple Newsome House in Leeds (yorks) pelargoniums have been grown up the
rear walls for years. Some of them are 10 feet high with very large
spread. Is that what you mean by "climbing"?

I think it probably is. I know there's no such thing as a climbing
Pelargonium but some will scramble upwards, given the chance. The one I'm
thinking of must be around 18' high, I should think. It's outdoors in the
sheltered angle of two walls facing south and west.