Old 20-07-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gloriosa Rothschildiana

Got one !! I'm sooooo excited. It's beautiful. I wonder if anybody had
experience with them. I've got the right place, pot, medium and all is
well, flowering beautifully, though I'm not sure what to do this
winter. Either I dig out the tubers and keep them dry or leave them in
pots? What would you do? Thank you.

Old 20-07-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
a Puce writes:

| Got one !! I'm sooooo excited. It's beautiful. I wonder if anybody had
| experience with them. I've got the right place, pot, medium and all is
| well, flowering beautifully, though I'm not sure what to do this
| winter. Either I dig out the tubers and keep them dry or leave them in
| pots? What would you do? Thank you.

When they start to die down or it starts to get cold, put them somewhere
dry and frost-free. That is all you have to do, but you can repot.
And they should be kept DRY in the dormant season - nowhere in the
UK ever gets as dry as their natural habitat, except in extreme
centrally-heated locations.

Mine did quite well for some years, but then suffered some sort of rot.
They were in an extremely well-drained pot of poor soil, too.

Oh, and they are lethally poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jul, 17:23, La Puce wrote:
Got one !! I'm sooooo excited. It's beautiful. I wonder if anybody had
experience with them. I've got the right place, pot, medium and all is
well, flowering beautifully, though I'm not sure what to do this
winter. Either I dig out the tubers and keep them dry or leave them in
pots? What would you do? Thank you.

Nick, I can't see your reply?!?!? Can you try again?

Old 20-07-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article .com,
a Puce writes:

| Got one !! I'm sooooo excited. It's beautiful. I wonder if anybody had
| experience with them. I've got the right place, pot, medium and all is
| well, flowering beautifully, though I'm not sure what to do this
| winter. Either I dig out the tubers and keep them dry or leave them in
| pots? What would you do? Thank you.

When they start to die down or it starts to get cold, put them somewhere
dry and frost-free. That is all you have to do, but you can repot.
And they should be kept DRY in the dormant season - nowhere in the
UK ever gets as dry as their natural habitat, except in extreme
centrally-heated locations.

Mine did quite well for some years, but then suffered some sort of rot.
They were in an extremely well-drained pot of poor soil, too.

Oh, and they are lethally poisonous.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I had more or less the same experience as you Nick. I kept mine in the
bottom of the wardrobe, and it was fine for a couple of years,=then it
fizzled.
Jenny

Old 21-07-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jul, 19:35, "JennyC" wrote:
When they start to die down or it starts to get cold, put them somewhere
dry and frost-free. That is all you have to do, but you can repot.
And they should be kept DRY in the dormant season - nowhere in the
UK ever gets as dry as their natural habitat, except in extreme
centrally-heated locations.
Mine did quite well for some years, but then suffered some sort of rot.
They were in an extremely well-drained pot of poor soil, too.
Oh, and they are lethally poisonous.

I had more or less the same experience as you Nick. I kept mine in the
bottom of the wardrobe, and it was fine for a couple of years,=then it
fizzled.

Right - thanks a lot you two. Hoping I'll keep mine a bit longer off
to find a suitable hybernation spot

ps. still can't see Nick's post by itself. How bizarre ...

Old 21-07-2007, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:23:40 -0700, La Puce
wrote:

Got one !! I'm sooooo excited. It's beautiful. I wonder if anybody had
experience with them. I've got the right place, pot, medium and all is
well, flowering beautifully, though I'm not sure what to do this
winter. Either I dig out the tubers and keep them dry or leave them in
pots? What would you do? Thank you.

I used to grow them in the soil at the back of a frost-free
greenhouse. Left then in the ground all year, but just didn't water
them in the winter months. They came up year after year. A word of
warning: my wife used to curse them because if your clothes brushed
against the flowers, the bright orange pollen was extremely difficult
to remove.

--
Chris

Old 21-07-2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Jul, 19:08, Chris Hogg wrote:
I used to grow them in the soil at the back of a frost-free
greenhouse. Left then in the ground all year, but just didn't water
them in the winter months. They came up year after year. A word of
warning: my wife used to curse them because if your clothes brushed
against the flowers, the bright orange pollen was extremely difficult
to remove.

Thanks for that. It will fall on our heads because it's growing above
the veranda door (from a pot on a table). You've given me an idea and
I'm now I'm considering planting it in the ground, in the veranda,
where I have bear earth in the corner. Would this be best done this
winter? Carefully? It's quite dry there.

Old 23-07-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:47:15 -0700, La Puce
wrote:

You've given me an idea and
I'm now I'm considering planting it in the ground, in the veranda,
where I have bear earth in the corner. Would this be best done this
winter? Carefully? It's quite dry there.

Dunno. If it's free from frost there, then maybe. But I'd wait until
it dies back in the autumn, anyway, before planting it out.

--
Chris