Old 25-07-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT MS Vista

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:52:20 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

More worrying is at the moment Vista is flexing its muscles and I have

spent
the last 2 hours trying to recover from it freezing after a bit of

software
it did not like was attempting to install. now working but I can see a

lot
of unexplained activity from the hard drive so am expecting more trouble

come :~(
Its more trouble than its worth, avoid it if you can, but they do not

supply
you a system disc so you can change your mind in the future.

Charlie, you could try asking about your problem on uk.comp.misc; I've
always found them a very helpful lot.

I have no experience of Vista, but when it first came out there were
some adverse comments on the above NG, among which was that it needed
1Gb of memory to run well (AIUI MicroSoft suggest a minimum of 500Mb,
which is technically correct but cripplingly low, although many
machines with that bare minimum were advertised at the time),
otherwise it would be forever swapping stuff between memory and the
hard drive, which slows things up significantly.

If your machine only has 500Mb, increasing it to 1Gb is pretty simple.
On a quiet day, PC World in Truro would probably do it for you while
you wait. Whether it would solve your MSOffice problem is another
question....

--
Chris

I had heard a lot of the adverse comments so bought a machine with 2GM ram.
At the moment its not working and wont even switch on so you could say I am
not a fan!
One of the things they have removed is Control Alt Delete so you have no
choice but to power off then it goes into recovery mode to try and fix the
problem, but this all takes a long time (and so far has not worked) so what
would have been an irritating freeze on my old machine would take only a few
seconds to regain control I find taking hours on this one

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-07-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:58:35 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

I had heard a lot of the adverse comments so bought a machine with 2GM

ram.
At the moment its not working and wont even switch on so you could say I

am
not a fan!
One of the things they have removed is Control Alt Delete so you have no
choice but to power off then it goes into recovery mode to try and fix

the
problem, but this all takes a long time (and so far has not worked) so

what
would have been an irritating freeze on my old machine would take only a

few
seconds to regain control I find taking hours on this one

On my WinXP Dell I can get the same effect as Ctrl Alt Delete by holding

in the
power button. Dunno if that will work on your PC or with Vista.

My son's new Dell with Vista runs most thing he uses without a problem.
--

Martin

Machine is back where it came from and we have a new one, the previous one
was pronaunced unrepairable! no wonder I was not immpressed.
So how I go with mark 2 (and it apparently should have had c alt del)

Old 25-07-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

snip

I paid EUR100 for a copy of SuSE Linux, somebody is posting that that is
free too.

No, I bought it before Novell got their hands on it.

Ok, two things.

1] When SuSE made the product (before Novell bought them) it wasn't free (As
in given away). The only way you could get it (initially) was to *buy* it
from them or a distributor. I bought most releases from 5.0 to 9.4. After
that, Novell bought the company SuSE GmbH & allowed you to download a
release from their ftp site, or mirror.

2] Once you'd bought it, the SuSE Linux OS was *yours* (Unlike windows which
is only *licenced* to you, it still belongs to MS).
SuSE was/is *free* for you to do what *you* want with it. You could install
it on as many PCs as you like, with NO licence restrictions.
Heck, you could even make copies & give them away to friends & family if you
wished! :-)

In the context of opensource software, "free" doesn't necessarily mean it's
free as in "no charge" (though a lot of applications are free). What it
means is that once you have it, you are free to do what *you* want with it.

I hope that answers your question more clearly. :-)

Old 25-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well machine two switched on so that was an improvement of sorts! somewhat
marred by the monitor not working, zip, zero, not a glimmer. So it has to go
back tomorrow, but at least by using an old monitor I can see the computer
is working.
I notice that Microsoft have come up with a new buzz word OOBE " Out of the
box experience" the only remotely funny thing about the whole few days imo!!

Old 26-07-2007, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Followed by BIBE - Back In Box Experience?

Martin

Shouldn't that be the VIBE - Vista is Boll**ks Experience?

David.