Old 25-07-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aubergines

I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Old 25-07-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

I am assuming as in cooking in an interesting way.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=egg+plant
gives some good ideas although merkin (I think) so the quantities need translating. I have
found recipies for many of my surplus veg.

GillM
Old 25-07-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/07 17:00, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote:

I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Melanzane alla parmigiana
NGREDIENTS:
€ 4 pounds eggplant
€ Olive oil for frying
€ 2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
€ A small piece of onion, minced
€ Abundant basil
€ 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella (buffalo milk if possible)
€ 2 eggs
€ 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano
€ Pepper
PREPARATION:
Note: Since the wateriness of fresh tomatoes varies the above is a minimum.
You can also use 3.6 pounds canned tomatoes or 1 1/2 quarts bottled tomato
sauce.

Drain the tomatoes well, and cook them with the minced onion and a sprig of
basil.

When they have softened, drain them and put them through a food mill, then
cook them a little more over low heat, without letting the sauce thicken too
much. Salt the sauce when it is done and don¹t add oil, as the eggplant will
have absorbed enough in frying.

Peel the eggplants and cut them into quarter-inch slices; salt them and
place them between to plates to press out the bitter juices. After 1 to 2
hours rinse them and pat them dry. In the mean time, heat a pot of oil to
the smoking point, then fry the slices, a few at a time, removing them from
the oil while they are still lightly colored. Set the slices upright in a
rack to drain, then put them on a sheet of absorbent paper to remove all the
oil you can.

Mince the basil and cut the mozzarella into thin slices, then cut the slices
into strips.

Take a 10-inch diameter oven-proof dish that¹s about 3 inches high and
spread a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce over it. Next, beat the eggs
with 2/3 cup of tomato sauce.

Arrange a third of the eggplant in the bottom of the dish, overlapping the
slices slightly, and cover them with 2 tablespoons grated cheese, 5-6 pieces
basil leaves, 2-3 tablespoons of the egg sauce, and half the mozzarella.
Repeat this process with another layer. Lay down a third layer, covering it
with the remaining grated cheese, egg-tomato sauce, and, if need be a little
more tomato sauce to cover.

Bake in a slow oven for about an hour, turning the heat up in the last few
minutes to lightly brown the top. The dish should not be eaten hot * let it
cool some, or better yet, entirely. It will be better the next day or even
the day after that.

Variations:
Flavor the eggplant with a well cooked, but not excessively thick tomato
sauce made with oil and minced onion (pomarola). Bake the assembled dish at
length in a hot oven, and brown it well. Make a thick tomato sauce with no
oil, and heat the assembled dish over a low flame rather than in the oven,
and remove it from the fire as soon as it begins to bubble.
Low fat: Rather than fry the eggplant, microwave it (see your microwave¹s
booklet for instructions) and don¹t put any oil in the tomato sauce. Make
the rest as normal.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 5:00 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Make ratatouille and freeze for xmas or to go with your fried egg on
toast. Doubly nice when cooked twice, three ... four times ;o)

Old 25-07-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Why grow them if you don't know what to do with them?

At risk of having responded to a troll.
--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

Old 25-07-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Moussaka (JFGI)
Old 25-07-2007, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What
can I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Why grow them if you don't know what to do with them?

At risk of having responded to a troll.
--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

Why does anyone try anything new I suppose? Why would you think me a troll?
I've been here for years

Old 25-07-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
:: I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas.
:: What can I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse?
:: Polite answers appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the ideas, I shall look forward to trying them

Old 25-07-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/07 19:00, in article ,
"Cerumen" wrote:

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Why grow them if you don't know what to do with them?

At risk of having responded to a troll.

Don't worry, Robert isn't a troll. He's posted here many times.

Old 26-07-2007, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Try this http://tinyurl.com/3dhx8h
426.000 recipes :~))

I tend to cut them in half, stuff with mince/onion/mushrooms or whatever ,
grated cheese on top, in the oven...yummy
Jenny

Old 26-07-2007, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
:: "Robert (Plymouth)" remove my
:: other hobby to reply wrote in message
:: news ::: I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas.
::: What can I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse?
::: Polite answers appreciated. Thanks
::
:: Try this http://tinyurl.com/3dhx8h
:: 426.000 recipes :~))
::
:: I tend to cut them in half, stuff with mince/onion/mushrooms or
:: whatever , grated cheese on top, in the oven...yummy
:: Jenny

Super, I'll give it a try

Old 26-07-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What
can I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Why grow them if you don't know what to do with them?

At risk of having responded to a troll.

Why does anyone try anything new I suppose? Why would you think me a
troll? I've been here for years

I'm sorry I have just not seem your name here, or at least didn't remember
seeing it and there has been an out break of trolling asking similar basic
questions before.
Aubergines can be used in a number of ways, personally Ilike them sliced and
coated in flour and fried but they are good for stews and of course
mousakka.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
'I realised I was dyslexic after attending a toga party dressed as a goat'

Old 26-07-2007, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 25/7/07 19:00, in article ,
"Cerumen" wrote:

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
news
I know I could look it up but I thought you would have more ideas. What
can
I do with the aubergines that I have in my greenhouse? Polite answers
appreciated. Thanks

Why grow them if you don't know what to do with them?

At risk of having responded to a troll.

Don't worry, Robert isn't a troll. He's posted here many times.

As I now know but the name was for some reason unfamiliar and anyway it
wouldn't be the first time a troll pretended to be a regular poster. But I
was wrong.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

aubergines ex WGS Hamm United Kingdom 2 01-02-2005 09:26 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Edible Gardening 1 23-01-2004 12:12 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Australia 0 23-01-2004 06:02 AM
Aubergines Janice United Kingdom 8 16-09-2003 05:23 PM
Aubergines Jon United Kingdom 2 09-04-2003 09:56 PM