Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-07-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg Traumas

Hi - I've just rejoined the group after several years' gap. I have a
lament and a question.

Just wondered if anyone else was having veg troubles in this wet
season. On the ridge above the Thames Valley I've lost the outdoor
tomatoes and the maincrop (Pink Fir Apple) potatoes to blight, but
also to voles/mice - I think the latter, as I've noticed lots of
tunnelling round the fruit trees when we cut the long grass. I've dug
the onions early, fearing rot, and the raspberries and strawberries
died from botrytis or similar.

On the other hand, the salad leaves have been extra lush this year.

My question was is it worth while trying to get rid of/discourage the
voles or should I just shrug and hope for better luck next year? I've
never had my maincrop eaten before storage before.

Hope everyone's weather dries up a bit.

Gill near Pangbourne, where it's been extra soggy