Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default it's flying ant day!

, I, Marvo, say :

In message , Uncle Marvo
writes
, I, Marvo, say :

The ants are flying, at least around here, in Surrey/Sussex. Is it
the same all over the country?

Ants flew last night in Northants.

Judging by all the replies, not as mysterious as I'd thought, then,
but just responding to local temperatures, maybe?

Still a bit magic, though, all those males off after just a few
queens....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3934591.stm

Scottish nipping ants.

Third to last paragraph (with no wind either...), I think I'd be alarmed if
an ant fell on me as I died, too.

Unfortunate choice of phrasing.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:41:11 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

, I, Marvo, say :

The ants are flying, at least around here, in Surrey/Sussex. Is it the
same all over the country?

Ants flew last night in Northants.

How about Dec?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:21:24 +0100, Klara
wrote and included this (or some of this):

In message , Uncle Marvo
writes
, I, Marvo, say :

The ants are flying, at least around here, in Surrey/Sussex. Is it the
same all over the country?

Ants flew last night in Northants.

Judging by all the replies, not as mysterious as I'd thought, then, but
just responding to local temperatures, maybe?

Still a bit magic, though, all those males off after just a few
queens....

Sh! don't get George Michael involved.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message

The ants are flying, at least around here, in Surrey/Sussex. Is it the
same all over the country?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

end of last week in Galloway and about 10 days ago in Timperley ( nr
Altrincham )
Derek

Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Aug, 09:28, jane wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:01:36 +0100, Klara
wrote:
~
~
~The ants are flying, at least around here, in Surrey/Sussex. Is it the
~same all over the country?

Ours went on the 19th July. My parents had them a few days earlier up
in Derbyshire.

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

Yes, 19th July here in Somerset also. And my father had them on the
same day over in Norfolk.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 2, 11:15 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/8/07 11:14, in article

My step daughter, who lives just minutes from here, says she's had four lots

of flying ants, all on different days.

I've just opened the shutters on an unused bedroom here and I noticed
a few flying ants but in Norfolk where I usually live, the ants were
around last Thursday flying everywhere, including my garden room. I
have no idea how they got in!

Judith

Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
IME they live in walls, under terraces etc. and are almost impossible
to get rid of. That said, while they're not pleasant to see around the
kitchen in any great numbers and they can nip, if disturbed, they don't
spread disease or do any real harm that I'm aware of. In my early
days on urg, I seem to remember someone suggesting sprinkling Vim or
Ajax powder (can one still find it?) around the places they travel. I
tried that and it did seem to work.

Yes, all they need is a tiny crack through to something like the cavity
wall. We had never noticed them, then one year they suddenly swarmed and
flew from behind a window frame: it was a bit like some horror film. But
that was it, nothing since then - they probably noticed their mistake
and found the way to the great outdoors....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin