Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered User

Default Lost Potato variety

Due to recent flooding and waterlogged allotment virtually all my potatoes have been wiped out / rotted in the ground.

I have rescued enough to save for seed some of my favourites ( Ratte, Franceline, Catriona, )

BUT my very favourite has been completely lost and I have no seed for next year. I have been searching internet for a supplier but to no avail.

Does anybody have spares (I will pay) or know of a supplier for a potato called " Alex " ? It is a beautiful salad variety bred in Denmark and tastes superb.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Bananaman

Seems this is a lost variety, as it is no longer in the Defra list.
Seed potatoes have strict government restrictions on them, and those who
produce them, mainly to try to stop disease taking hold.

Jut a thought though, someone like the Scottish Crop Research Institute
(Pentlandfield, near Edinburgh) might be able to source microplants, so you
can start again?

Good luck with this, i dont like to see old varieties dissapear!

John

Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/07 18:00, in article ,
"John" wrote:

"Bananaman" wrote in message

[...]

Or what about the HDRA? Might they be able to help?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 4/8/07 18:00, in article ,
"John" wrote:

"Bananaman" wrote in message

[...]

Dnt know!

I dont want to knock HDRA and all the good they do, however what Ido know is
that SCRI (in common with other potato breeders) have a huge selection of
potato "genetic material"

The alternative potato breeders ar mostly commercial people, one of them
might be able and willing, but SCRI (who bred all the "Pentland" varieties
is a huge place.

John

Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do not know of Alex, but ask Alan Roman, he might have a small
quantity that does not warrant listing in his catalogue
http://www.alanromans.co.uk
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Potato Variety Recommendation TheScullster United Kingdom 2 11-03-2011 03:04 PM
Vivaldi potato variety Chris United Kingdom 16 24-02-2006 11:16 PM
Potato Variety Gilly United Kingdom 30 27-08-2005 02:14 PM
Looking for a tiny potato variety Dipu Edible Gardening 2 09-08-2003 04:02 PM
Looking for a tiny potato variety Dipu Gardening 2 09-08-2003 04:02 PM