Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Dipu

Default Looking for a tiny potato variety

I am new to vegetable gardening. I have seen a tiny variety of potato
in India which is great to eat in fried curries. I am trying to find
out if that variety will grow here in US and where can I find seeds to
grow these. I dont know the name of the variety. The potatoes are
round, about half-inch diameter ( about the size of a blueberry ). The
skins are generally thin and light yellow in color. If any experienced
gardener here has grown this variety, please provide some information
on where to buy seed variety and when/how to plant. FYI, I am in the
San Francsico bay area.

Thanks.

-Dipu
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Noydb

Dipu wrote:

I am new to vegetable gardening. I have seen a tiny variety of potato
in India which is great to eat in fried curries. I am trying to find
out if that variety will grow here in US and where can I find seeds to
grow these. I dont know the name of the variety. The potatoes are
round, about half-inch diameter ( about the size of a blueberry ). The
skins are generally thin and light yellow in color. If any experienced
gardener here has grown this variety, please provide some information
on where to buy seed variety and when/how to plant. FYI, I am in the
San Francsico bay area.

Thanks.

-Dipu

Dipu,
Those sound like 'baby' potatoes. You can find them by reaching in
to the soil beneath the plant with your bare hands and digging them out wit
h your fingers without waiting for them to mature / the top of the plant
to die back.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Bohdan Besaha

You might also look at this variety, it is small, though not as small as
yours. It is called Peanut, or Swedish Peanut, and is known for it's small
size.

http://www.milkranch.com/Potato/GardenData.aspx?Var=PE

I'm not associated with this supplier, but I at least wanted to point the
variety out to you.

"Dipu" wrote in message
om...
I am new to vegetable gardening. I have seen a tiny variety of potato
in India which is great to eat in fried curries. I am trying to find
out if that variety will grow here in US and where can I find seeds to
grow these. I dont know the name of the variety. The potatoes are
round, about half-inch diameter ( about the size of a blueberry ). The
skins are generally thin and light yellow in color. If any experienced
gardener here has grown this variety, please provide some information
on where to buy seed variety and when/how to plant. FYI, I am in the
San Francsico bay area.

Thanks.

-Dipu

Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 04:39 AM
Lost Potato variety Bananaman United Kingdom 5 06-08-2007 10:48 AM
Vivaldi potato variety Chris United Kingdom 16 24-02-2006 11:16 PM
Potato Variety Gilly United Kingdom 30 27-08-2005 02:14 PM
Looking for a tiny potato variety Dipu Gardening 2 09-08-2003 04:02 PM