Old 20-02-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

Default Vivaldi potato variety

Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm

They are reckoned to be delicious.
--
Chris
Old 20-02-2006, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Chris wrote:
Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm

They are reckoned to be delicious.

I've eaten them, and wouldn't consider them to be spectacularly
better than some other potatoes. My wife asked if I could get some
Vivaldi seed potatoes, but I couldn't find any. I'd be half-tempted
to buy some from Sainsbury's and plant them, but I prefer to know
a little more about the origin of my food.

(Sainsbury's allegedly have exclusive sale of Vivaldi potatoes, but
one of the local grocers has them on sale. Not sure what the story
might be there.)

James
Old 20-02-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

In article , James Fidell
writes
Chris wrote:
Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm
They are reckoned to be delicious.

I've eaten them, and wouldn't consider them to be spectacularly
better than some other potatoes. My wife asked if I could get some
Vivaldi seed potatoes, but I couldn't find any. I'd be half-tempted
to buy some from Sainsbury's and plant them, but I prefer to know
a little more about the origin of my food.
(Sainsbury's allegedly have exclusive sale of Vivaldi potatoes, but
one of the local grocers has them on sale. Not sure what the story
might be there.)

I found this:
http://www.vpromo.co.uk/
--
Chris
Old 20-02-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Anyone tried growing these?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm

They are reckoned to be delicious.
--
Chris

quote

Since nutritional values can differ among potatoes, the
Vivaldi can have up to 38% less carbohydrate and 56% fewer
calories than other varieties., the producers say.

/quote

In other words at a rough approximation, you're buying 38%
more water per pound\kilo of Vivaldi, compared with other
varieties, and each pound\kilo you eat will be 38% less
filling.

michael adams

Old 21-02-2006, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

T & M are selling a variety called Adora, which has claims of 30% less
calories.
Pale yellow skin and flesh. 20 tubers for £ 3.99 or free on an order
over £17.99
Haven't tried them so can't say what they are like.
Just finished the last of my Anya potaoes. Have to be my favourite for
boiling or cold.
Clifford

Old 21-02-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

cliff_the_gardener wrote:

T & M are selling a variety called Adora, which has claims of 30% less
calories.
Pale yellow skin and flesh. 20 tubers for £ 3.99 or free on an order
over £17.99
Haven't tried them so can't say what they are like.
Just finished the last of my Anya potaoes. Have to be my favourite for
boiling or cold.

I'm trying Picasso, Charlotte, Maris Piper and Accent this year -- set
them out in the greenhouse to start chitting last weekend. I was quite
tempted by some Pink Fir Apples, but my wife doesn't like potatoes with
the skin on and they look to be utterly impractical to peel. Perhaps
I'll sneak them in another year.

James
Old 21-02-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

In article , James Fidell
writes
set
them out in the greenhouse to start chitting last weekend.

Apparently chitting is thought to be unnecessary nowadays.
There was a recent article about it in The Telegraph.
--
Chris
Old 21-02-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm
They are reckoned to be delicious.

In blind taste comparisons on breakfast TV this am, every taster
picked them out ...as the worst tasting most insipid potato, rather
watery. Big thumbs down.

I bought some and baked them - and they were delicious.
--
Chris
Old 21-02-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Chris wrote:
In article , James Fidell
writes
set
them out in the greenhouse to start chitting last weekend.

Apparently chitting is thought to be unnecessary nowadays.
There was a recent article about it in The Telegraph.

Interesting. Does that mean they've found there's no benefit from
rubbing out extra shoots? Seems counter-intuitive to me, but that's no
objection in itself.

--
Mike.

Old 21-02-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Chris wrote:
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm
They are reckoned to be delicious.

In blind taste comparisons on breakfast TV this am, every taster
picked them out ...as the worst tasting most insipid potato, rather
watery. Big thumbs down.

I bought some and baked them - and they were delicious.

Baking would bring out the best in a potato with a high water content,
which might not be so tasty when boiled. (Not that I ever boil old
potatoes, except for mashing.) Did you try them boiled or mashed?

--
Mike.

Old 22-02-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Chris wrote:
In article , James Fidell
writes

set
them out in the greenhouse to start chitting last weekend.

Apparently chitting is thought to be unnecessary nowadays.
There was a recent article about it in The Telegraph.

Well, yes, but old habits...

Assuming I'm organised enough next year, I may chit only half and
compare the results for myself.

James
Old 22-02-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Chris wrote:
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Anyone tried growing these?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4689108.stm
They are reckoned to be delicious.

In blind taste comparisons on breakfast TV this am, every taster
picked them out ...as the worst tasting most insipid potato, rather
watery. Big thumbs down.

I bought some and baked them - and they were delicious.

Baking would bring out the best in a potato with a high water content,
which might not be so tasty when boiled. (Not that I ever boil old
potatoes, except for mashing.) Did you try them boiled or mashed?

Tried them mashed - and they were no good at all.
They wouldn't mash properly - had to put them in the word processor - I
mean ... Oh well - you probably know what I mean!
--
Chris
Old 22-02-2006, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

James,
FYI, Pink Fir Apple is a parent of Anya. The advantage of Anya is that
it is not as twisted as PFA so a little easier to clean, but has the
taste; has a thin skin too. I was sratting around and found a root of
Anya that I had missed. The spuds were unmarked, which was quite a
suprise as slugs have normally had a good bite of them. Cooked up
lovely and sweet.
We share a few varieties for this season. I went to the HDRA at Ryton
for Potato day and got a selection.
Anya, Accent, Lady Balfour, Mimi, Ratte (Asparges), Sapro Mira,
Charlotte, Pentland Dell, Yukon Gold and Smile.
A mix of ones I haven't tried and ones I like
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

wallflower vivaldi Stuart Noble United Kingdom 0 22-12-2009 12:26 PM
wallflowers vivaldi [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-08-2009 11:00 AM
Vivaldi Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 13-04-2006 10:54 PM
Looking for a tiny potato variety Dipu Edible Gardening 2 09-08-2003 04:02 PM
Looking for a tiny potato variety Dipu Gardening 2 09-08-2003 04:02 PM