Old 13-08-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butt Connection

Hi,

I have just bought a 'Rainsava' rain diverter
http://www.raindrain.ltd.uk/index.html and will be fitting it to my Sankey
Space Saver water butt. The Water Butt has some flat indents intended
for incoming hose connection around 3 inches from the top lip.

However, if I fit the RainSava as directed
http://www.raindrain.ltd.uk/How.html, the connection will need to be made
about 2 inches lower where the wall of the water butt is ribbed making
connection difficult.

I have sketched a couple of diagrams showing the method in the instructions
(A) and my preferred method (B) http://tinyurl.com/2jrxmx

Am I correct to assume that fitting the RainSava a little higher than
specified so that the connector is level with the 'flat indent' will cause
an overflow? I would have thought that the water would level out where the
connection is made and then not fill the butt any further with more rainfall
(thus creating an automatic 'overflow' system)?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Kroma

Old 13-08-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:42:50 +0100, "Kroma"
wrote:

[...]

If you just move everything upwards by the amount needed to get the
outlet from the Rainsava exactly at the same height as the flats on
the butt, you will be OK. The key to these water diverters is that
when the butt is full, the water just backs up along the pipe to the
diverter and flows on down the drainpipe. But the inlet to the butt
must be at the same height as the outlet from the diverter in order
for it to work properly. Your diagram B looks correct.

--
Chris

Old 14-08-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am I correct to assume that fitting the RainSava a little higher than
specified so that the connector is level with the 'flat indent' will cause
an overflow?

It depends on how far the water level rises up inside the device on the
downpipe, before diverting back down the pipe. Have a good look inside and
see how it works. Incidentally I had one of these at the last house and it
was a PITA. Leaves washed down the gutter would block the downpipe at the
point of the Rainsava. That line at the bottom of the fitting instructions
about removing it and washing out is vital.

Mike

Old 14-08-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 8:00 pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
Am I correct to assume that fitting the RainSava a little higher than
specified so that the connector is level with the 'flat indent' will cause
an overflow?

It depends on how far the water level rises up inside the device on the
downpipe, before diverting back down the pipe. Have a good look inside and
see how it works.

Indeed the rain sava will back fill until all new water must run down
the inside pipe an away to the drain. It is worth marking this level
on the outside of the contraption. I carefully measured mine and get
an extra couple of inches water in the butt. It was actually a bit too
close for comfort - but optimum use of capacity. The instructions are
intended to be idiot proof.

Incidentally I had one of these at the last house and it
was a PITA. Leaves washed down the gutter would block the downpipe at the
point of the Rainsava. That line at the bottom of the fitting instructions
about removing it and washing out is vital.

First season. Not had that problem yet.

Regards,
Martin Brown