Old 14-08-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Evergreen Climber Suggestion

Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing much
damage to a garage roof.

I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
cover the wall without causing too much damage.

Regards

Lyghthouse

Old 15-08-2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lyghthouse" wrote in message
k...
Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing much
damage to a garage roof.

I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
cover the wall without causing too much damage.

Regards

Lyghthouse

Where abouts are you? I ask because a lot of good evergreen climbers are

also tender.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-08-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lyghthouse" wrote in message
k...
Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing much
damage to a garage roof.

I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
cover the wall without causing too much damage.
Regards
Lyghthouse

Some of the honysuckle family (lonicera) are evergreen. I used to have L.
henryi which has small flowers and later berries.

Crocus have a list on their site of some others that you might like:
http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/f...limbevergreen/

Jenny

Old 15-08-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "lyghthouse" wrote in message
| k...
| Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing much
| damage to a garage roof.
|
| I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
| cover the wall without causing too much damage.
|
| Some of the honysuckle family (lonicera) are evergreen. I used to have L.
| henryi which has small flowers and later berries.

Very few, and they are all slightly tender. I gre henryi until I got
bored with it, but I don't know how it would handle more than a mild
winter. Most of the hardy 'evergreen' honeysuckles drop their leaves
in anything except a very mild winter.

The only fully hardy evergreen climber is common ivy, but there are
quite a lot that are adequate for all of England except perhaps the
Pennines, assuming that the mild winters continue. And there are a
great many that are fine for the south and west.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2007, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "lyghthouse" wrote in message
| k...
| Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing
much
| damage to a garage roof.
|
| I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be
grown to
| cover the wall without causing too much damage.
|
| Some of the honysuckle family (lonicera) are evergreen. I used to have
L.
| henryi which has small flowers and later berries.

Very few, and they are all slightly tender. I gre henryi until I got
bored with it, but I don't know how it would handle more than a mild
winter. Most of the hardy 'evergreen' honeysuckles drop their leaves
in anything except a very mild winter.

I too became bored with is as the flowers are not very spectacular. I
suppose mine survived due to being in an enclosed city garden where it is a
few degrees warmer than in the open.

The only fully hardy evergreen climber is common ivy, but there are
quite a lot that are adequate for all of England except perhaps the
Pennines, assuming that the mild winters continue. And there are a
great many that are fine for the south and west.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In my experience variegated ivy's are not as invasive as the ordinary one.
They grow slower and are therefore easier to control. I'm a BIG fan of ivy
in general :~)

here's a slightly mad site about ivy :~)
http://www.eastcheam.co.uk/

Jenny

Old 15-08-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| [ Lonicer henryi ]
|
| I too became bored with is as the flowers are not very spectacular. I
| suppose mine survived due to being in an enclosed city garden where it is a
| few degrees warmer than in the open.

Mine survived in the open, in Cambridge, but I planted it only after
the recent warm winters started.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2007, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"lyghthouse" wrote in message
k...
Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing
much
damage to a garage roof.

I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
cover the wall without causing too much damage.

Regards

Lyghthouse

Where abouts are you? I ask because a lot of good evergreen climbers are

also tender.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Holders of National collections of Clematis viticella
and Lapageria rosea cultivars

Based in Wigan between Manchester and Liverpool the garden is quite
sheltered as it is a converted concrete yard.

Old 15-08-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"lyghthouse" wrote in message
k...
Having just cut down an ivy that had 'infested' a garden wall causing
much
damage to a garage roof.

I am looking for suggestions for evergreen climber that could be grown to
cover the wall without causing too much damage.

Regards

Lyghthouse

Where abouts are you? I ask because a lot of good evergreen climbers are

also tender.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Holders of National collections of Clematis viticella
and Lapageria rosea cultivars

Based in Wigan between Manchester and Liverpool the garden is quite
sheltered as it is a converted concrete yard.

When I lived in Warrington I grew clematis armandii as an evergreen climber in
my back yard. The place was quite sheltered and the high housing density (close
terraces with roads in front and ginnels behind) kept the temperature up a
degree or two. If your situation is similar to this it might perhaps succeed
for you although I don't believe it is fully hardy.

Gill M

--

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk
Old 15-08-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/07 17:30, in article ,
"Gill Matthews" Try the
wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

Nick and Charlie are slipping. ;-) All together now - Holboellia coriacea.
It's worth a try. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-08-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick and Charlie are slipping. ;-) All together now - Holboellia coriacea.
| It's worth a try. ;-)

The trouble is that it doesn't do with me :-( It seems to grow quite
happily, but its flowers seem to wither in merely cool nights.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/07 17:36, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick and Charlie are slipping. ;-) All together now - Holboellia
coriacea.
| It's worth a try. ;-)

The trouble is that it doesn't do with me :-( It seems to grow quite
happily, but its flowers seem to wither in merely cool nights.

That's very bad luck, Nick. I'd be interested to know of anyone growing it
successfully and further north than Cambridge!

Old 15-08-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| | Nick and Charlie are slipping. ;-) All together now - Holboellia
| coriacea.
| | It's worth a try. ;-)
|
| The trouble is that it doesn't do with me :-( It seems to grow quite
| happily, but its flowers seem to wither in merely cool nights.
|
| That's very bad luck, Nick. I'd be interested to know of anyone growing it
| successfully and further north than Cambridge!

My suspicion is that it is the east-west divide that is more important.
I have only once seen even young shoots frosted, but the buds seem
very sensitive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

There are a number you can try but the best is the one you have just
removed!
Clematis armandii
Clematis cirrhosa balearica
Clematis fasiculifolia
Holboellia latifolia
Trachelospermum asiaticum
Passiflora caerulea
Hydrangea seemannii
Euonymus fortunii
Cissus striata
Lonicera japonica Acumen
Lonicera henryi
Lonicera similis delavyi
All would need careful placing, some are for shade others need sun and none
will be reliably evergreen in a hard winter for you.

Old 16-08-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/8/07 17:36, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick and Charlie are slipping. ;-) All together now - Holboellia
coriacea.
| It's worth a try. ;-)

The trouble is that it doesn't do with me :-( It seems to grow quite
happily, but its flowers seem to wither in merely cool nights.

That's very bad luck, Nick. I'd be interested to know of anyone growing
it
successfully and further north than Cambridge!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Does Holboellia grandiflora count ? Only planted this summer but I was told
it was worth a punt (a bloomin expensive punt) :-)

evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 28 24-02-2004 11:47 PM
evergreen climber Paul United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 09:33 AM
Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas? Richard Kerry United Kingdom 28 08-02-2004 08:26 PM
Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions AndreaL United Kingdom 9 15-10-2003 12:02 PM
Evergreen climber to cover a west facing wall in zone 9 Pete Gardening 6 25-09-2003 05:42 AM