Old 19-08-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default squirrel eating plants?!@#$

Hi Everyone I thought it was a rabbit that must have been eating my dusty
miller - but I caught the squirrel with a big piece of it in his mouth.
Anyone else seen squirrels eating plants. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Old 20-08-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Clarissa/Jean,

I am sorry but I just had to say this - I've heard of man-eating sharks but
squirrel-eating plants are new to me (lol)!

Sorry about that but now I've got it off my chest and I feel better!

Being serious, no, I've never heard of them eating plants but they seem to
eat all manner of things - bird's eggs, bread, nuts. One thing I have read
is that they shouldn't be fed peanuts which are not good for them. Peanuts
are in fact really beans and contain a substance that inhibits the
squirrel's ability to absorb goodness from other foods they've eaten. I've
only recently found that out and have been feeding peanuts to a squirrel
that lives in a tree at the bottom of our garden. I'll have to find
something else to feed it.

That's probably too serious, now! Hope you didn't mind, Clarissa!

Kindest regards,

John

Old 20-08-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Hi Clarissa/Jean,

I am sorry but I just had to say this - I've heard of man-eating sharks
but squirrel-eating plants are new to me (lol)!

Sorry about that but now I've got it off my chest and I feel better!

If someone could grow squirrel-eating plants, they would make a fortune ;-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 20-08-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Hi Clarissa/Jean,

I am sorry but I just had to say this - I've heard of man-eating sharks
but squirrel-eating plants are new to me (lol)!

Sorry about that but now I've got it off my chest and I feel better!

Being serious, no, I've never heard of them eating plants but they seem to
eat all manner of things - bird's eggs, bread, nuts. One thing I have read
is that they shouldn't be fed peanuts which are not good for them. Peanuts
are in fact really beans and contain a substance that inhibits the
squirrel's ability to absorb goodness from other foods they've eaten. I've
only recently found that out and have been feeding peanuts to a squirrel
that lives in a tree at the bottom of our garden. I'll have to find
something else to feed it.

If peanuts kills the damned things I'll have to start feeding peanuts to
them.

Can you guarantee that it will work?

Anything to get rid of the buggers!

Old 20-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Winchester
Talking

Watch out too as squirrels love tulip bulbs - they can sniff them out so make sure you plant them later in the year about November!!
Jo

Old 21-08-2007, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bbb bbb is offline

Is there anything else that can kill them ??

Urgent

Too late - they have stripped my hazelnuts

Old 21-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Is there anything else that can kill them ??

Urgent

Too late - they have stripped my hazelnuts

If peanuts kills the damned things I'll have to start feeding peanuts to
them.

Can you guarantee that it will work?

Anything to get rid of the buggers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directbulbs View Post
Watch out too as squirrels love tulip bulbs - they can sniff them out so make sure you plant them later in the year about November!!
Jo
Peanuts do contain a toxin that several years ago caused a problem in West Africa because it was a staple part of local diet. Even as 25% of the diet it could kill, and certainly did kill animals. That might now have changed as it is possible the new strains of peanuts have been developed. So they tell me in the pet food shops. They do a lot of damage to trees in this area. Several of my friends have had trees in their garden ruined by the little 'pests' stripping the bark off the top branches. If you can catch one put a little piece of lead in its left ear. Preferably with a gun.

stop Squirrel's eating my spring bulbs Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 16 17-11-2005 07:49 PM
Tulip Eating Squirrel Rachel Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:32 PM
Squirrel baffle for 3" bird feeder post? Elizabeth North Carolina 2 10-03-2003 04:32 PM
OT Red squirrel Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 32 03-03-2003 03:33 AM
Squirrel menace Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 29-09-2002 11:32 PM