Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX VX is offline

Default Ivy on fence- suggestions?

I'd like to grow ivy up a 2m fence. The top 2 feet of this is trellis.
I'm not sure how to choose an ivy variety for this purpose though.

There are ivy varieties that are claimed to grow to a height of 2 metres, but
I get the impression that they reach this height slowly, over a number of
years. An example that I liked is Hedera Helix "Buttercup".

Another idea would be to get a taller-growing variety that would reach 2m
quicker, and then just prune it to keep it to the desired height and shape.
One that I like and would consider is Hedera Cochica "Sulphur Heart". I think
this grows to 5m.

As a general question- since I've never seen any information on this- can ivy
be pruned and kept within desired limits this way? The fence is about 12m
long so it is not going to be a huge job to cut it back at intervals.

TIA for any info or suggestions.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

English Ivy, training to grow on Smooth Vinyl Fence Cori Gardening 15 18-03-2018 08:44 PM
Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Boston Ivy on a Chain Link Fence? Jeff Gardening 2 08-09-2003 06:42 AM