Old 27-08-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this tree please

The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they
have that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with
each pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers
are pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne. What
is it?
Old 27-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben" wrote in message
The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they have
that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with each
pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers are
pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne.

Could it be Escallonia (except leaves do not come in paires, methinks?)?
Verily, thou cans't Google images of it?

Des

Old 28-08-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben" wrote in message
The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they
have that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with
each pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers
are pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne. What
is it?

Not an Elder is it, bit late for the flowers. Picture would help?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-08-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 27, 6:48 pm, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they have
that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with each
pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers are
pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne.

Could it be Escallonia (except leaves do not come in paires, methinks?)?
Verily, thou cans't Google images of it?

Des

I say unto thou: just thou triest to Google images of that which thou
knowst not the name of!

Cat(h)

Old 28-08-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben" wrote in message

The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they have
that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with each
pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers are
pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne.

Could it be Escallonia (except leaves do not come in paires, methinks?)?
Verily, thou cans't Google images of it?

Des

I say unto thou: just thou triest to Google images of that which thou
knowst not the name of!

Cat(h)

It is probably thee rather than thou but my biblical/elisabethan
English is crap and it is not fair to expect durty rotten foreigners
like you to speak olde English as well as the new stuff. Anyway I
meanest that the Escallonia should be googled till well knowne.

Old 28-08-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message
The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they have
that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with each
pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers are
pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne.

Could it be Escallonia (except leaves do not come in paires, methinks?)?
Verily, thou cans't Google images of it?

I rode past someone's Escallonia last night and turned my bike round to
have a look at the leaves, individually they look fairly similar, but
they aren't in pairs at 90 degrees.
Old 28-08-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 16:57, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/8/07 08:59, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message
The leaves are think, dark green and waxy, a bit like privet but they
have that slightly sawtooth edge like pieris. They come in pairs, with
each pair rotated 90 degrees compared to the previous pair. The flowers
are pinky white, they look and particularly smell like hawthorne. What
is it?

Not an Elder is it, bit late for the flowers. Picture would help?

Hoheria sexstylosa?

I was thinking that perhaps a hawthorn-like smell indicated something
related to hawthorns - such as one of cockspur thorns, or another
species of thorn (Crataegus). Among the images in my digital photograph
collection Aronia flowers also look like hawthorn flowers.

Whatever it is, it won't be Hoheria. Mallows have alternate (one leaf
per node) rather than opposite (two leaves per node).

You're right, of course. I hadn't taken on board the leaf arrangement. I'm
trying to think of something in flower now that could match that
description. I assume they *are* in flower now. Clerodendrum? Viburnum
farreri? Bit early though.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-08-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
You're right, of course. I hadn't taken on board the leaf arrangement. I'm
trying to think of something in flower now that could match that
description. I assume they *are* in flower now. Clerodendrum? Viburnum
farreri? Bit early though.

No no no, I've obviously mislead a few people with this - it flowers
much earlier in the year, the flowers are long gone now.
Old 28-08-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ben writes:

| No no no, I've obviously mislead a few people with this - it flowers
| much earlier in the year, the flowers are long gone now.

Bluntly, you are on a hiding to nothing. There are a few dozen
regular posters who could use words alone to describe a fairly
conventional tree so that the others could identify it, but even
we would have a major job doing so without both flowers and leaves
in front of them. I couldn't do it, except for the most distinctive
trees, for a start.

Wait until it next flowers, and show people pictures of the flowers,
leaves, bark and fruit (if any). And say when it flowers, and when
it opens its leaves :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 18:08, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Ben
writes:

| No no no, I've obviously mislead a few people with this - it flowers
| much earlier in the year, the flowers are long gone now.

Bluntly, you are on a hiding to nothing. There are a few dozen
regular posters who could use words alone to describe a fairly
conventional tree so that the others could identify it, but even
we would have a major job doing so without both flowers and leaves
in front of them. I couldn't do it, except for the most distinctive
trees, for a start.

Wait until it next flowers, and show people pictures of the flowers,
leaves, bark and fruit (if any). And say when it flowers, and when
it opens its leaves :-)

Good advice, to put it mildly. And Stewart is probably right that it's e.g.
Crataegus crus-galli but that can only be a guess right now.

Old 28-08-2007, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/8/07 18:08, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Ben
writes:

| No no no, I've obviously mislead a few people with this - it flowers
| much earlier in the year, the flowers are long gone now.

Bluntly, you are on a hiding to nothing. There are a few dozen
regular posters who could use words alone to describe a fairly
conventional tree so that the others could identify it, but even
we would have a major job doing so without both flowers and leaves
in front of them. I couldn't do it, except for the most distinctive
trees, for a start.

Wait until it next flowers, and show people pictures of the flowers,
leaves, bark and fruit (if any). And say when it flowers, and when
it opens its leaves :-)

Good advice, to put it mildly. And Stewart is probably right that it's e.g.
Crataegus crus-galli but that can only be a guess right now.

If there are fruits present now we can probably narrow it down a bit.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-08-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| If there are fruits present now we can probably narrow it down a bit.

Or even quite a lot, depending on what they are like!

One of the oddities that I thought about is that a fruit with a
single, large, somewhat flattened stone is pretty distinctively a
plum relative, if it is native - but that type of fruit and stone
is NOT distinctive at all once you leave northern Europe.

I first had that idea when eating a loquat :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.